7-Year-Old Receives Liposuction Voucher as Stocking Stuffer
For her latest birthday, Poppy Burge received a voucher for breast implants. This Christmas, she got a voucher for liposuction in her stocking.
Why vouchers? Because Poppy is only 7 years old.
According to the Daily Mail, Poppy’s mother, 51-year-old Sarah — who is referred to as “surgery obsessed” is known as the Human Barbie — says that the surgical enhancement vouchers are “investing in her future.” The Daily Mail has more on Sarah’s thoughts on the controversial gifts:
“I put the voucher in her stocking – there’s nothing wrong with that,” she said.
“She asks for surgery all the time. She wants to look good and lipo is one of those procedures that will always come in handy.”
Dr. Manny Alvarez writes on the health implications of surgery obsession in this case for Fox News, stating that Sarah’s addiction for plastic surgery could be passed onto her daughter:
As with most addictions, excessive reconstructive surgery comes with serious physical risks like wound breakdown, nerve damage, abnormal scar formation and chronic pain. I believe that plastic surgery should only be considered on patients that truly need it and have had an informed conversation with their physician, who should be fully accredited to receive these procedures.
I don’t know if Burge is looking for publicity, but she needs to understand that what she is doing could permanently damage her child. Not only because this child could become another plastic surgery addict like her mother, but because one day, as an adult, she might go online and see exactly what her mother was doing to her at the age of seven and realize that her life and her future were not being protected.
Alvarez uses this story as an example to also draw attention to body image issues at increasingly younger ages. Last week, we reported that children as young as 3 years old have been seen for eating disorders in one area of the U.K.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 328 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 285 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan