Did You Read About the Shrewd Move the Ron Paul Camp Pulled Last Night?
Texas Rep. Ron Paul finished third in Tuesday’s Iowa caucuses, but that might not be the end of the story for Paul and the Hawkeye State.
First, recall that the Iowa GOP caucuses are about more than picking a presidential candidate; that’s only one part of the process. They also help decide party platform issues and elect delegates to the Republican County Convention — the first step to running as a delegate for the Republican National Convention.
As Business Insider noted, Paul’s huge organizational effort focused not just on getting votes, but on making sure Paul supporters stayed afterward to get themselves elected county delegates — the first stage in fortifying a solid wall of support come national convention time in Tampa, Fla. in August.
Business Insider explained in an exclusive: [emphasis added]
That’s because Iowa’s Republican caucuses are non-binding — they are technically just a straw poll, so once selected, delegates are free to vote for whichever presidential candidate they choose.
“Part of what we’ve been training the Ron Paul people to do is not to leave after the vote,” Dan Godzich, a senior campaign adviser, told BI. “Stay and get elected to the conventions and get us those delegates.”
In the weeks leading up to the caucuses, Paul advisers pounded the state, making sure supporters knew what to do and organizing slates of delegates so that even if Paul lost the overall vote, he would still be well-placed in the delegate count.
Sources told Business Insider the Paul campaign is happy with the number of delegates it netted. While not providing specifics, the site reported a source said Paul “nailed down the delegates in all of Iowa’s smaller counties, and made a strong showing in several larger ones.”
Addressing supporters Tuesday night, Paul framed his campaign as a movement and vowed to keep its momentum rolling.
“We have tremendous opportunity to continue this momentum. It won’t be long that there’s going to be an election up in New Hampshire, and believe me, this momentum is going to continue and this movement is going to continue, and we are going to keep scoring, just as we have tonight,” he said.
Editor’s note: The headline of this article has been changed to reflect a more accurate characterization.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,033 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 435 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 141 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 103 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Egyptian state TV says 6 policemen, border guard abducted in Sinai have been released
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- US auto factories cutting back on summer downtime
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings