‘Stupid’: Huntsman Reacts to Pro Ron Paul Ad Painting Him as ‘Manchurian Candidate’
GOP presidential candidate Jon Huntsman said Friday a new online ad posted by apparent Ron Paul supporters painting him as a “Manchurian candidate” is “stupid” and out of line.
The ad, posted to YouTube by “NHLiberty4Paul,” includes video footage of Huntsman with his daughters – he adopted two girls from China and India — and wonders, “China Jon’s daughters: even adopted?”
Huntsman served as the U.S. ambassador to China under President Barack Obama from 2009 to 2011, when he resigned from his post to explore a Republican bid for president.
The ad features clips of Huntsman speaking Chinese and says, “The Manchurian candidate. What’s he hiding?”
“American values? Or Chinese?” it asks. The video ends with the words, “Vote Ron Paul.”
Asked about the video during a campaign stop in New Hampshire Friday, Huntsman said, “First of all, it’s just stupid.”
“If someone wants to poke fun at me, that’s OK,” Huntsman said, according to the Associated Press. “What I object to is bringing forward pictures and videos of my adopted daughters, and suggesting there is some sinister motive there.”
He said his daughter Gracie, now 12, was abandoned in China when she was two months old and left in a vegetable market.
“She was picked up by the police and sent to an orphanage. No future, nothing to look forward to. Now she’s in my family,” Huntsman said. His daughter Asha, 6, was left to die by the side of a road in India the day she was born.
Paul’s campaign told the Boston Globe it has no connection to the video and does not know who made it.
“We had nothing to do with it and we think it’s completely distasteful,” Paul spokeswoman Kate Schackai told the Globe. “Nobody who actually supports Dr. Paul’s principles would put together something like that.”
Huntsman has put his campaign efforts into New Hampshire, opting to skip Tuesday’s Iowa caucuses in favor of shoring up a base in the Granite State, whose first-in-the-nation primary will be held Tuesday. Huntsman’s campaign has posted several ads attacking Paul, calling him unelectable.
Despite his efforts, the latest poll released Friday from Suffolk University has Huntsman in fifth place at 8 percent among likely Republican primary voters, ahead only of Rick Perry, The Hill reported. Iowa caucus winner Mitt Romney leads at 40 percent, followed by Paul in second place at 17 percent and Rick Santorum at 11 percent. Newt Gingrich is fourth at 9 percent.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 576 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 491 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 382 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 301 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 262 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 146 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Police: 'Thong Cape Scooter Man' not breaking law
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81