Video Captures Philly Fans Beating Off-Duty Cop & Former Marine After Hockey Game
The home team didn’t win, and it appears some Philly fans lashed out at the nearest guy in a Ranger’s jersey, sending him to the hospital.
After the New York Rangers’ 3-2 comeback victory over the Philadelphia Flyers in the 2012 Winter Classic at Citizens Bank Park on Monday, fans of the losing squad got into a brawl with celebrating New York Rangers supporters.
Judging by the video released of the incident, some Philly fans attacked a couple of New York supporters outside of a famous cheesesteak shop, Geno’s, just a few miles from the site of the Flyers vs. Rangers game.
Watch the melee unfold below:
The Philadelphia Police Department released the video above, which shows three men clad in Flyers jerseys brutally beating two men in Rangers jerseys. Three Philly thugs allegedly continued to assault the two Rangers fans after they hit the pavement and couldn’t defend themselves.
According to the Daily News, one of the victims is Neal Auricchio, a police officer from Woodbridge, N.J. and former Marine sergeant, who served two tours in Iraq and who was wounded by a bullet during his first tour.
After the beating outside Geno’s Steakhouse, Auricchio was hospitalized, received stitches, and has since been released.
“Some guys wanted to start trouble, and they picked on him,” Marie Auricchio told the Daily News. “He [Neal] got those tickets as a Christmas present, and this is what happened. They were targeted.”
Philadelphia police said the fight began after the Flyers fans paid a squeegee man to spray the Rangers fans. That led to an exchange of words, then the hooligans commenced their assault.
On Wednesday, the police department issued a statement on the assault and said they’re seeking help in finding the suspects which reads:
“On January 2, 2012, at 7:15pm, three unknown males wearing Philadelphia Flyers Jerseys assaulted two males while at Geno’s Steaks located at 1200 South 9th Street. The assault began after the Winter Classic hockey event and the male victims were wearing New York Rangers jerseys. During the altercation one of the victims were seriously injured.”
According to Huffington Post, police in Philadelphia may have a strong lead in the case already because one of the alleged attackers wrote a rant on his Facebook page about the beating that even bragged about the encounter.
“It was me and my friends, do something about it,” Edward Neary bragged, per the Daily News. “How dumb do I look knocking someone out pretty sure they look dumb eatin concrete.” According to the News report, Neary later backed off his comments.
No arrests have been made as of Friday morning.
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 440 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 421 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 386 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 151 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 132 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 124 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 239 Comments
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 249 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team
- Jury deciding Arias' sentence adjourns for day
- FBI: Arrest made in Wash. ricin letter scare
- Family Ties: Jarrett, Petty enter NASCAR hall
- Top AEG lawyer referred to Jackson as 'freak'
- In Arias trial, TV cameras never far behind
- Float driver says train seemed still before crash
- WW II photo-documentarian Wayne Miller dies at 94