‘Good Advice:’ Ron Paul Allegedly Approves of Anti-Zionist Rabbi’s Message During Campaign Run-In
Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul is familiar with controversy, but this is one he’d probably rather avoid. Paul, who has been accused of being anti-Israel in the past, allegedly had a brief encounter at a campaign event with Rabbi Yisroel Dovid Weiss, an anti-Zionist faith leader.
At an event in New Hampshire earlier this week, the two apparently shook hands. During the exchange, the Jewish Chronicle reports that Weiss told Paul that Judaism is a religion and that it ”should never be transformed into a nationalism.” The paper claims that Paul’s response — which will certainly draw ire — was that this statement is “good advice.”
The Chronicle has more about Neturei Karta, the anti-Zionist sect that Weiss is a part of:
The controversial sect, rejected by almost every other part of the Jewish community, was founded in Jerusalem in 1938 in order to fight Zionism and has actively championed Israel’s enemies ever since. One Neturei Karta member, Rabbi Moshe Hirsch, even served as Minister for Jewish Affairs in Yasir Arafat’s Palestinian administration.
Below, watch Weiss (circa 2008) railing against Zionism, while supporting the Palestinian people:
Weiss is also known for attending Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s “International Conference to Review the Global Vision of the Holocaust,” during which the Middle Eastern leader questioned the Holocaust. In 2006, Weiss also told Iranian media that “it is dangerous deviation to pretend that the Iranian president is anti-Jewish and anti-Semitic.” He continued:
“[Ahmadinejad] is extremely friendly and he understands the difference between the Zionists and the Jews who do not embrace the state of Israel… We don’t look at him as an enemy”.
A photo of Weiss’ interaction with Paul was posted on the American Spectator web site — along with an image of Weiss and Ahmadinejad:
In fairness to Paul, he likely had no idea that Weiss would be at the event. That being said, his agreement with the rabbi’s statement will only compound the negative press he has received for his perceived anti-Israeli sentiment.
Last month, a former aide — Eric Dondero — came forward and essentially said that Paul is against the Israeli state. However, the Paul campaign has defended the candidate’s stance on the Jewish state. Aide Leon Hadar told Haaretz that the candidate isn’t against Israel.
“He is just against foreign aid, and does not see any reason to grant an aid to the country that is a member of OECD,” Hadar said. ”We should remember it’s the primaries, and the Republican party establishment is not happy about his popularity, because on many issues his positions run contrary to the traditional party’s agenda.”
In a separate interview, Paul told the outlet, himself, that he’s not opposed to the Jewish state.
“I do not believe we should be Israel’s master but, rather, her friend,” he said. “We should not be dictating her policies and announcing her negotiating positions before talks with her neighbors have even begun.”
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 487 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 473 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 463 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 364 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 329 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control Read More
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 146 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 104 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Watch the other hand: Immigration reform advances under cover of scandals
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- 26 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- Body of child found in deadly Minn. landslide
- Court cancels Ukraine's first gay pride rally
- WHO: 22 deaths worldwide from coronavirus
- Between economy and trouble, Obama approval steady
- UN chief visits Goma, Congo
- UK attack suspects part of previous investigations
- Shuttered NM plant resumes making peanut butter