World’s Thinnest OLED TV for Its Size Receives Strong Accolades From Tech Crowd
On Tuesday at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics showed off a 55-inch TV. So, what’s so special about that? Well, it’s only 4 millimeters thick — one-sixth of an inch — making it the largest of the thinnest TVs in the world, according to Samsung.
The TV uses organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs), not the usual plasma or liquid crystals. Watch The Associated Press coverage of the unveiling:
A tech update for TV screens has been a long time coming and here is what some of the expert sites are saying about it:
- Digital Trends described the TV as “pretty impressive” at least from 75 feet away.
- David Katzmaier for CNE T said that it will outperform any other OLED TV on the market, which is an 11-inch one by Sony. At the Time of Sony’s 2007 introduction of the less-than-a-foot TV, Katzmaier described it as “delivered the deepest black levels I’ve seen to this day” but noted there were other color accuracy issues. He states he would need more face time with the Samsung version to confirm those same issues do not exist.
- Trusted Reviews also said the glimpse of the TV was brief, but from what they saw, it “immediately impressed.”
- Engadget states it is “pretty darn amazing to behold.”
Watch more of Engadget’s review from the show:
OLED technology is used in high-end smartphones, but it has been very difficult to make larger screens with consistent results. In 2007, Sony Corp. started selling an 11-inch OLED TV for about $2,500, but it never followed it up with a bigger model. Since then, LG and Samsung have shown prototype OLED TVs at the annual CES show, but hadn’t revealed any marketing plans until this week.
While Samsung and LG didn’t state a price for the TV that will be available sometime this year, expect the sets to cost more than $5,000 each. It’ll take at least a few years for prices to come down enough for most people.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 321 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 256 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 246 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 191 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? 104 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 126 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 104 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 142 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Official: Treasury played no role in IRS targeting
- Trial for captain in deadly shipwreck in Italy
- FBI: Man shot dead in Fla had become violent during questioning in Boston bombing case
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Target's 1Q profit drops 26 pct on weak sales
- House panel seeks to curb military sexual assaults
- 'GMA' host Roberts to write memoir about illness
- Vienna official: Looted Nazi goods returned