‘You’ll Be Tarred and Feathered!’: Union Protesters Growing Desperate in Indiana
“For his final experiment in the conservative laboratory that is Indiana, Gov. Mitch Daniels is tinkering with a labor bill that could bring more jobs to the state, is guaranteed to bring massive labor protests to the Statehouse during the 2012 session and may temporarily shut down all other legislative business,” The Blaze reported earlier this month.
And make no mistake about it, Indiana is inching towards becoming a “right-to-work” state. However, as everyone expected, Republican lawmakers in the Hoosier state are meeting fierce opposition from Democrats and their union allies.
Watch union protesters erupt in protest on the House floor:
This was written on the video’s YouTube description:
Before the gavel even fell on the Indiana House Committee on Employment, Labor and Pensions, protestors erupted on the House Floor claiming everything under the sun you’d expect to hear from a union protestor including that the legislators were unpatriotic and dictators. One even called for legislators (presumably only the Republican members who voted for the bill) to be “tarred and feathered.”
But what were they so upset about?
“The latest development in the process came when the legislation cleared the House Employment, Labor and Pensions Committee and a first vote on amendments in the full body is scheduled for next Tuesday,” writes Jazz Shaw of Hot Air.
What does this mean? It means that if the measure clears the next round of voting, it could be passed into law, making it illegal for Indiana businesses and unions to negotiate contracts that require all workers to pay union fees.
Naturally, in a show of political acuity, Indiana House Democrats boycotted the chamber four out of the first five days of the 2012 session.
By the time they returned, they had missed the deadline for submitting amendments to the measure. Therefore, under Indiana House Rules, Committee Chairman Doug Gutwein — being within his rights — refused any Democrat amendments to the bill.
And that’s why they’re freaking out in the video.
However, if Democrats hadn’t staged a four-day walkout, “they would have been able to submit amendments to the Joint House and Senate Committee hearing last Friday,” writes Josh Gillespie of HoosierAccess reports.
“But in an utter disregard for anything remotely resembling a coherent thought, Minority Leader Pat Bauer and most of the Democrats walked out, preventing a quorum and preventing their participating in a hearing that lasted over five hours and produced quite a bit of testimony.”
Maybe now House Democrats will realize that it may be more useful to their cause to stick around and debate the issues.
Same protesters, different angle:
[Editor's note: Although the protesters have some great lines including, "This is a dictatorship!," we think the best line is at the 5:55 mark: "Does 'aye' mean 'yes'?"]
(H/T: Hot Air)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 571 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 490 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 368 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 275 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 254 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 144 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- Sanabia : I didn't know spitter was against rules
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- No bail for Pa. parents in faith-healing death
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split