Sen. Rand Paul Cuts $500K From His Office Budget, Returns it to Treasury
When freshman Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) was elected in 2010, he promised to cut federal spending.
It looks like he’s making good on his promise.
“The Kentucky Republican and tea-party favorite said Thursday he’s returning $500,000 to the U.S. Treasury – money from his operating budget that his office never spent,” writes Scott Wong of Politico, and “he contends no senator has returned as much to taxpayers.”
Watch the entire press conference via courier-journal.com:
U.S. Senators are appropriated $3 million a year for their office budgets and Sen. Paul has been able to save nearly 15 percent of his annual costs, according to WFLP News.
How does he do it? Some would say frugality.
“We look at all of our office expenses. We look at the coffee pot to the computers bought and we try to buy things as if it were our money we were spending, or your money that we were spending, and our goal is not to spend all of it, our goal is to save some of it,” Paul said.
If Congress offered incentives for lawmakers and staff to cut budgets, the U.S. could save $130 million annually, Paul added.
“I ran to stop the reckless spending. And I ran to end the damaging process of elected officials acting as errand boys, competing to see who could bring back the biggest check and the most amount of pork,” Paul said at a news conference in Louisville, where he presented taxpayers with a massive mock check for $500,000.
Image Courtesy: WFPL News
“I hope this sets an example for the rest of government – at all levels,” he added. “We can carry out our duties in a fiscally responsible way. Government can be both smart and efficient. We are proving that – and trying to convince the rest of Washington.”
As Business Insider rightly points out, critics of Sen. Rand Paul will probably denounce him for returning the $500,000 and attack him for not using the money “to create jobs,” as Michael Brendan Dougherty of BI put it.
However, these criticisms will probably fall on deaf ears.
“Most American families have been forced to figure out how to do more with less, or how to do less altogether. It’s nice to see a Senator joining us,” Dougherty writes.
Many would agree, and find this a very welcome change of pace.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 154 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 225 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 110 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 133 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Star witness to stay mum for House hearing on IRS
- Susan Powell's dad gets private eye to review file
- Star witness to be mum during House hearing on IRS
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Restaurant learns online reviews can make or break
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Kerry praises $2.1 billion Raytheon deal in Oman
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview