See the Exchange Over Race Between Gingrich and Juan Williams That Led to a Standing Ovation
We’ve already given you the debate in 100 seconds, but one clip getting a lot of play on Tuesday morning is the slightly contentious exchange between Fox’s Juan Williams and Newt Gingrich regarding racism and Gingrich’s comments about blacks. We highlighted the exchange in part last night, but below is an expanded version.
In short, Williams wanted Gingrich to defend his statements about food stamps and Barack Obama. Gingrich did, but in a way that dismissed the question as a “gotcha” — and in a way that drew jeers from the crowd for Williams and cheers from the crowd for Gingrich. In fact, Gingrich even secured a standing ovation.
Talking Points Memo explains (as well as has some of the transcript):
After the debate, Fox News commentator Frank Luntz — who was apparently in the room — was surprised at the crowd’s reaction. He said it was the first time he’d ever seen a debate audience give a candidate a standing ovation during an ongoing debate.
What led to such a response? This question from Williams started it.
“Speaker Gingrich, you said black Americans should demand jobs, not food stamps. You also said poor kids lack a strong work ethic and proposed having them work as janitors in their schools,” Williams asked. “Can’t you see that this is viewed, at a minimum, as insulting to all Americans, but particularly to black Americans?”
“No. I don’t see that,” Gingrich said flatly.
The crowd cheered for that one. But they really got going when Williams followed up with this:
I have to tell you my Twitter account has been inundated by all races, who are asking if your comments are not intended to belittle the poor and racial minorities. You saw some of this reaction dug your visit to a black church in South Carolina. We saw some of this during your visit to a church in South Carolina where a woman dad’s asked you why you referred to President Obama as the food stamp president. It sounds as if you are seeking to belittle people.The crowd booed Williams as he tried to get the question out. When Gingrich responded, they (according to Luntz) jumped to their feet and gave him a standing ovation.
“Well, first of all, Juan, the fact is that more people have been put on food stamps by Barack Obama than any president in American history,” Gingrich said. “I know among the politically correct you are not supposed to use facts that are uncomfortable.”
Gingrich ended with a rousing, finger-pounding explanation that citizens are endowed by their “creator” with the right to pursue happiness and that he was going to find ways to help “poor people” in their quest for upward mobility. That set the crowd ablaze:
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 425 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 389 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 116 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election
- Suicide bomber kills 3 in northwest Pakistan
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- Williams to face Tatishvili in 1st round of French
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- 'No guarantee of peace,' NKorean envoy warns China
- Brewers team up on beer to help military families