‘Point of Order!’: Firestorm Erupts When Congressman Asks to Subpoena Koch Brothers to Testify on Keystone Pipeline
A House committee held what was perhaps one of its more explosive hearings Wednesday on a bill that would give a federal commission the power to approve the Keystone XL pipeline. Democrats, led by Congressman Henry Waxman, call the bill a Republican earmark and thus asked that the Koch brothers be subpoenaed to testify on their alleged investment in the project. Republican Committee chairman Ed Whitefield was having none of it, however, and cut Waxman off at the knees.
“We’re not going to be subpoenaing the Koch brothers,” he blasted. “The Koch brothers have nothing to do with this project.”
“Point of order!” Waxman bellowed. “You cut me out in the middle of a sentence!”
“Your time was up, Mr. Waxman!” Whitfield retorted. “We are going to recess this hearing for ten minutes and then we’re going to come back.”
“Are you calling the Koch brothers during the recess?” Waxman quipped.
Whitefield quickly fired back, “If you want to talk about that, let’s talk about the millions of dollars that the Obama administration gave companies like Solyndra and people like George Kaiser and other campaign bundlers…would you like us to subpoena them too?”
“Why are you interrupting members and then you take unlimited time for yourself?” Waxman asked.
“I’m the chairman! And I’m telling you right now we’re going to recess for ten minutes!” Whitfield stated, before storming out.
Speculations over why the president has delayed the decision on this project abound. Some suggest Obama he has done so to keep from angering his political base and environmentalists who oppose the pipeline. If approved, the bill would essentially bypass Obama’s decision.
Mediaite brings us the entire exchange via CSPAN:
Fox News provides background:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,035 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 310 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 143 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 104 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed