Report: Police Surveillance Drones Could Soon Fly Over NYC
Recent evidence suggest that yes, the New York Police Department could one day soon have aerial drones in its arsenal of crime fighting tools.
The evidence pointing to police deployment of drones is preliminary, but it is there.
According to WCBS-TV, an e-mail has been released through the Freedom of Information Act that’s ”purportedly from a detective in the NYPD counterterrorism division, asking the Federal Aviation Administration about the use of unmanned aerial vehicles as a law enforcement tool.”
WCBS-TV also cited an interview with NYC Police Commissioner Ray Kelly in which he mentioned the NYPD’s ability to shoot down an aircraft, if that for some reason became necessary. It is more likely, however, that Commissioner Kelly was referring to the NYPD’s .50 Caliber rifles, which could theoretically bring down a small plane in the event of a terrorism emergency.
NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said, in response to questions about the NYPD’s possible deployment of drones, that “We’re always looking at technology. Drones aren’t that exotic anymore. Brookstone sells them. We’ve looked at them but haven’t tested or deployed any.”
Browne certainly has a point, as drones are becoming cheaper and more ubiquitous across the board. High-resolution cameras on aerial drone platforms are not coming to a store near you– they are already there.
In fact, civilians have started to use drones for their own purposes, as was recently seen when a Texas man used a drone to catch a meatpacking company dumping blood in a river, and during major riots in Poland last November. As Polish police clashed with protestors, a radio-controlled surveillance drone was able to capture and transmit streaming video of the clashes.
Here is a video of the “Roboktoper” drone in action over the Polish protests:
Civilian police have generally deployed small, unmanned rotary-wing drones. The Department of Homeland Security, however, has begun to patrol the U.S.-Mexico border with the much larger MQ-9 Predator drones that have become synonymous with U.S. military action abroad.
The mere prospect of police using drones to patrol New York City has some civil libertarians and privacy groups up in arms. The American Civil Liberties Union issued a 16-page report last month that WCBS claims cited:
“the growth of the use of drones and the lack of laws protecting citizens from airborne intrusions. Just the mere possibility that the city could be looking into the use of drone surveillance aircraft prompted one anonymous New Yorker to post official looking NYPD warning signs all over the city.”
Apparently, some of those public service notices read: “Attention, authorized drone strike zone.”
Another one found on Mercer Street said: “Local statutes enforced by drone.”
The signs would seem to be premature at this point, at least in New York City — but will they always be?
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 576 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 491 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 382 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 294 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 259 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 146 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom
- Kuchar leads Colonial when 2nd round suspended
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Police: 'Thong Cape Scooter Man' not breaking law
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- State report: I-5 bridge had gouges, impact damage
- Soldier's slaying prompts UK security review