A friend of actress Demi Moore who phoned 9-1-1 after the star collapsed and began convulsing, told the dispatcher that Moore had “smoked something” that was not marijuana but “similar to incense and she seems to be having convulsions of some sort.”
She also told the operator Demi was, “semi-conscious, barely.” The friend added, “She’s been having some issues lately with some other stuff, but I don’t know what she’s been taking or not.”
“Is she breathing normal?” the operator asked.
“No, not so normal. More kind of shaking, convulsing, burning up,” the friend replied.
The recording captured the 10 minutes it took paramedics to arrive as friends gathered around the star, attempting to comfort her. The clip of that call, featured below, is just under two minutes long.
Another woman was next to Moore as the dispatcher asked if the star was responsive.
“Demi, can you hear me?” she asked. “Yes, she’s squeezing hands. … She can’t speak.”
The city attorney’s office reportedly advised the fire department to redact details about medical conditions and substances to comply with federal medical privacy rules.
Asked if Moore took the substance intentionally or not, the woman said Moore did ingest the substance on purpose but that the reaction was accidental.
“Whatever she took, make sure you have it out for the paramedics,” the operator instructed.
The operator asked the friend if anything like this had ever happened before.
“I don’t know,” the friend said. “There’s been some stuff recently that we’re all just finding out.”
According to AP, the 9-1-1 dispatcher told Moore’s friend not to hold her down but to wipe her mouth and nose and watch her closely until paramedics arrive.
“Make sure that we keep an airway open,” the dispatcher said. “Even if she passes out completely, that’s OK. Stay right with her.”
AP reports that the phone was passed around by four people, one of whom gave directions to the gate and another who recounted details about the mystery substance Moore smoked or ingested. Finally, the phone was handed to a man named James, so one of the women can hold Moore’s head.
Due to some confusion at the beginning of the call, the ambulance was reportedly delayed by nearly two minutes. At one point during the call, Moore’s friend became agitated, asking, “Why is an ambulance not on its way right now?”
“Ma’am, instead of arguing with me why an ambulance is not on the way, can you spell (the street name) for me?” the Beverly Hills dispatcher asked.
By the end of the call, Moore’s condition had reportedly improved.
“She seems to have calmed down now. She’s speaking,” the male caller told the operator.
Moore’s publicist, Carrie Gordon, said previously that the actress sought professional help to treat her exhaustion and improve her health.
Some speculate Moore may be suffering a sort of breakdown since her marriage to fellow actor Ashton Kutcher ended amid rumors of infidelity on the younger star’s part.
Yahoo adds that, according to internet reports, the 9-1-1 call was placed after the actress had inhaled a dangerous amount of nitrous oxide, also known as “whip-its.”
Following Moore’s collapse, her rep told ET, “Because of the stresses in her life right now, Demi has chosen to seek professional assistance to treat her exhaustion and improve her overall health.” She added that Moore, “looks forward to getting well and is grateful for the support of her family and friends.”
The Associated Press contributed to this story.