Poll: Romney Leads Gingrich by 15 Points in Florida
Mitt Romney has a 15-point lead over rival Newt Gingrich in Florida, just two days away from the state’s primary, a new poll shows.
The former Massachusetts governor has 42 percent support among likely GOP voters, compared to the former House Speaker’s 27 percent, according to the NBC News/Marist poll released Sunday. The poll includes undecided voters who are leaning toward a particular candidate.
“The bottom line in all this is Romney’s sitting in the driver’s seat going into Tuesday,” Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion at Marist College, told MSNBC.
Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum came in third at 16 percent and Texas Rep. Ron Paul was fourth with 11 percent.
A separate poll released late Saturday had Romney with an 11-point lead over Gingrich, beating him 42 percent to 31 percent. Santorum had 14 percent and Paul had 6 percent, in the survey conducted by the Tampa Bay Times, Miami Herald and other news organizations.
Neither poll takes into account any potential boost Gingrich could receive from Saturday’s endorsement from Herman Cain.
The results are a setback for Gingrich, who saw his poll numbers in Florida surge following his Jan. 21 victory in South Carolina.
Gingrich on Sunday acknowledged his slide in the polls, and blamed Mitt Romney for “carpet-bombing” him with “Wall Street money” attack ads, Politico reported.
“If you’ll notice, when you get outside the zone where Romney carpet-bombs with Wall Street money, and you look at what’s happening in the rest of the country, I’m ahead in all three national polls that were released this week,” Gingrich said on ABC’s “This Week.” “It’s only when he can mass money to focus on carpet-bombing with negative ads that he gains any traction at all.”
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,026 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 461 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 432 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 307 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 247 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 119 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 221 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 131 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- State media shows NKorea has new military chief
- Paille's goal puts Bruins on verge of East finals
- Aretha Franklin taking June off, postponing shows
- State media dispatch shows North Korea has named hardline general as new military chief
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- North Korean leader sends 'special envoy' to China
- 10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Singer Kellie Pickler named new 'Dancing' champ