Oscar-Nominated Director of Anti-Fracking Movie Arrested During Congressional Hearing
The Academy Award-nominated director of an anti-drilling documentary was arrested on Capitol Hill Wednesday after trying to film a congressional hearing on hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, without proper credentials, according to multiple news reports.
Capitol Police charged Josh Fox, the director of the 2010 documentary “Gasland,” with unlawful entry, the Associated Press reported.
As The Blaze previously reported, “Gasland” covers the environmental concerns of fracking, a method that involves drilling into rock and injecting high-pressure liquid, allowing natural gas to escape. Fracking has been blamed for recent small earthquakes in Oklahoma and Ohio, though researchers say the link has not been conclusively proven.
The oil and gas industry have criticized “Gasland” for what they say is a sensationalized attack on fracking, according to the AP. The film was nominated for an Academy Award last year.
Fox, who is working on a sequel to the documentary, was led out in handcuffs Wednesday morning before the House Science Committee panel hearing got underway, Politico reported.
“I’m within my First Amendment rights, and I’m being taken out,” Fox shouted.
According to Politico, an ABC News crew was also turned away from the hearing. It is up to the committee chairman’s discretion whether to allow uncredentialed members of the media to film hearings.
The Hill reported Republicans on the panel objected to filming by both Fox and the ABC crew. Rep. Brad Miller (D-N.C.) called for a vote on whether to permit the crews to film, but Republicans tabled the motion.
Rep. Andy Harris (R-Md.), chairman of the Energy and Environment subcommittee, noted before Miller’s motion that the hearing was being webcast and said anyone filming the hearing would need proper credentials, Politico reported.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,030 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 434 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 249 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 134 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 223 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Straily, Cespedes push A's past Rangers 1-0
- Apple case seen as possible spur to tax action
- Bernanke testimony to be studied for policy clues