Obama at Prayer Breakfast: Jesus Would Want Us to Tax the Rich
President Barack Obama said Thursday his proposal to raise taxes on wealthy Americans is in accordance with the teachings of Jesus Christ.
“When I talk about shared responsibility, it’s because I genuinely believe that in a time when many folks are struggling and at a time when we have enormous deficits, it’s hard for me to ask seniors on a fixed income or young people with student loans or middle-class families who can barely pay the bills to shoulder the burden alone,” Obama said during the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington.
He continued, “And I think to myself, if I’m willing to give something up as somebody who’s been extraordinarily blessed and give up some of the tax breaks that I enjoy, I actually thinks that’s going to make economic sense.”
“But for me as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus’ teaching that, ‘for unto whom much is given, much shall be required,’” he said.
That principle, Obama said, also “mirrors the Islamic belief that those who’ve been blessed have an obligation to use those blessings to help others, or the Jewish doctrine of moderation and consideration for others.”
“We can’t leave our values at the door,” Obama said. “If we leave our values at the door, we abandon much of the moral glue that has held our nation together for centuries and allowed us to become somewhat more perfect a union.”
Obama said he wakes up every morning and says a “brief prayer” and spends “a little time in scripture and devotion.” He said pastors sometimes come to the Oval Office to pray with him, for his family and for the country.
“But I don’t stop there, I’d be remiss if i stopped there,” Obama said. “If my values were limited to personal moments of prayer or private conversations with pastors or friends — so instead I must try, imperfectly, but I must try to make sure those values motivate me as one leader of this great nation.”
Obama’s address came amid a feud between his administration and Catholic leaders over a decision to require contraception be included in virtually all health plans. He did not mention the controversy during his remarks.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 520 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 479 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 120 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- Arellano Felix drug cartel figure pleads guilty
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election