Is This Iowa High School Teaching Students Communism Is Better Than Capitalism? See the Flyer
(Updated information on this story has been added to the end of this article.)
This curious flyer was handed out to students studying the history of the Cold War at Roosevelt High School in Des Moines, Iowa.
What do you think the lesson was supposed to be?
The CAPITALISM side of the flyer shows workers in tattered clothing, chained to a machine that delivers all of the money produced to a cigar-smoking man who is also much better dressed.
Over on the COMMUNISM side, there is no boss and the smiling workers are better dressed, don’t have chains on their legs and the money goes back to them.
This gem was discovered by Simon Conway of Iowa’s Who Radio. A listener who is a parent of a student at the high school, sent the hand out to the radio host. Conway read the words of the flyer verbatim:
“Communism stands for equal sharing of the work according to the benefits and ability. But in Capitalism an individual is responsible for his works and if he wants to raise the ladder, he has to work hard.”
He continued to read and clarify further:
“While the profit of any enterprise is equally shared by all in Communism, the profit in the Capitalist structure belongs to the private owner only.”
Conway contacted Roosevelt High School for an explanation and was told that only person who could speak for the school on this topic is the principal. The Blaze has also reached out to Principal Kathie Danielson for comment. As of this writing, the principal has not responded.
UPDATE: Several calls to Roosevelt High School have gone unanswered. However, the school’s website did post a formal response. We are posting the entire statement from the school, unedited.
RADIO TALK SHOW MISREPRESENTS CLASS LESSON ON COLD WAR
A talk show on WHO Radio has unfortunately misled listeners about a class lesson about the Cold War. The radio show posted, on its web site, only a selectively edited part of a class handout – entitled “The two sides of the Cold War” – in order to give a false impression that students were being taught to support communism.
In light of the misrepresentation caused by this talk show, we have posted the handout and assignments here on our web site so that people can see the complete document for themselves. Furthermore, the class, 20th Century History, was studying the Cold War and propaganda, looking at some of the arguments both sides made about why their system was best on a range of topics, including their economies. The handout simply highlights the differences between capitalism and communism, and some of the arguments made during the period of the Cold War.
It is unfortunate that a talk show host decided to mislead his listeners in order to generate false criticism of our schools and our teachers.
To see the unedited lesson and assignments, click here.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,033 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 435 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 141 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 103 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed