Pictures Surface of a Sniper Nest at the Super Bowl — and They’re Apparently Real
Some pictures have started to make their way around the internet today showing a sniper nest at Sunday’s Super Bowl. They feature a state-of-the-art rifle set up in a box high above the field. But now the question is: Are the pictures real? The answer: it seems that way.
The pictures were posted on the Facebook page of U.S. Tactical Supply Inc. in the album “Super Bowl 2012 Security Overwatch.” They boast about some of the gear seen in the pictures, including the tripod:
So are they real?
Robert Johnson over at Business Insider thinks it’s a good possibility. He called the tactical company which told him the pictures were taken by Alamo Four Star, which manufactures the tripod seen in the photos. He also notes that Jerry Jones — owner of the Dallas Cowboys who hosted the Super Bowl last year — admitted to them being present in 2011:
And even Hollywood star Ashton Kutcher captured video of them in 2009:
So it does seem plausible, but we’re waiting on confirmation. In the meantime, a raucous debate is occurring over on the U.S. Tactical Supply Facebook page about whether the sniper pictures create a sense of safety or if they are too big brother:
Curious about the rifle you’re seeing? That’s apparently the
XM 2010 custom 700 Remington.* Head over to Business Insider to read more about it and get updates to the story.
Johnson is now reporting that the president of Alamo Four Star is saying the pictures are the “real deal.” He got them from a member of the Indianapolis SWAT member. Check out his story for more.
Editor’s note: Business Insider has updated its story to note that the rifle is not an XM 2010, but rather a custom Remington 700. Blaze reader Ben writes that it’s actually “a custom built Remington action and barrel that’s in an XLR Industries chassis system,” and it’s the product of Kyle Miller who works on the western slope of Colorado.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 549 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 503 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 475 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 332 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 324 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 199 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 210 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 139 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school
- Arias foreman: Sentencing decision unfair to jury
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Netflix looks to hook subscribers with 'Arrested'
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't