Obama Campaign Launches ‘Truth Teams’
Fans and critics alike may get a kick out of the Obama reelection campaign’s decision to launch a “Truth Team” to fend off expected attacks on the President’s record. The campaign explains:
“The Truth Team is a network of supporters of President Obama who are committed to responding to unfounded attacks and defending the President’s record. When you’re faced with someone who misrepresents the truth, you can find all the facts you need right here—along with ways to share the message with whoever needs to hear it.”
ABC News reports the campaign is looking to “enlist” and “educate” nearly 2 million people for the team.
The Truth Team webpage features a blog with references to three outlets “AttackWatch,” KeepingGOPHonest,” and “KeepingHisWord.”
“Every time a baseless attack comes to light, we’ll arm you with the truth so you can spread the word.”
Attack Watch — launched last fall — includes a Politifact-like blog putting a quote next to a truth team answer, which includes no citations, “Attack Files,” as well as pages to “Report an Attack” or “Spread the Word.” Some recent Attack Watch blog posts include “Mitt Romney downplays our economic recovery,” “Debunking the so-called ‘War on Religion’,” and “Romney’s favorite Medicare lie.”
A press release for the campaign watchdog launch explains that the grassroots organization is aiming to double the number of supporters who took part in the Fight the Smears initiative during the 2008 campaign and fight back attacks on the President’s record before the Democratic National Convention this fall.
Truth Teams will be announced in swing states like Iowa, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina and Wisconsin, with events being held in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Minnesota, Nevada, Ohio and Virginia.
National supporters for the organization include the National Education Association, Service Employees International Union, United Food and Commercial Workers International Union and the United Steelworkers Union.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 579 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 516 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 493 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 312 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 267 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 149 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US