U.K. MEP Gives Epic Warning on Greek Chaos: ‘You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet!’
Nigel Farage is the leader of the UK Independence Party and has been an outspoken opponent of bailouts and what’s been going on in Greece. This week, he blasted his colleagues who have treated Greece like a puppet government, and he shunned the idea that Greece is a democracy. Instead, he believes the people’s rights have been taken away and they’re future is being decided by foreigners intent on bailouts. Zero Hedge explains:
Outspoken and oracular MEP Nigel Farage bombards his fellow unelected officials with ‘you can’t handle the truth’ comments as he points out the total contradiction that is the European Parliament’s (and ‘Puppet Papademos‘) view of how things are going in their democracy relative to the reality of a TROIKA-ordered coup forced on the man in the street.
“Puppet Papademos is in place and as Athens caught fire on Sunday night he rather took my breath away,” Farage said, referring to Lucas Papademos, the current Greek prime minister. “He said, ‘Violence and destruction have no place in a democratic country.’”
“What democratic country?” he asked out loud. “He’s not even a democratically elected prime minister. He’s been appointed by you guys. Greece is not run through democracy now, it is run through a Troika. Three foreign officials that fly into Athens airport and tell the Greeks what they can and cannot do.”
Papademos, a former European Central Bank vice-president, was appointed prime minister in November by the Greek president. That’s what is drawing Farage’s ire, especially considering Papademos was charged with securing a eurozone bail out.
But he’s not done there.
“These policies are driving Greece towards a revolution. They need to be set free. If they don’t get the Drachma back you will be responsible for something truly, truly horrible.”
Here’s the entire fiery speech:
It seems the point of Farage’s speech, however, was lost to some. The Huffington Post, for example, went with the angle that he was supporting protests in the streets and angry with the austerity measures. But a closer examination, and considering Farage’s history, shows his comments were aimed at European politicians who turn to bailouts and have made a mockery of the democratic process in Greece.
Farage has been hailed as a prominent figure in Britain’s conservative movement. He gained attention for asking fellow politicians “Just who the hell do you think you people are?” during a debate about bailing out European Union countries, and has been an outspoken opponent of the EU.
You can read our previous profile of him here, which includes videos of some of his earlier speeches.
Here’s a transcript of his latest speech:
“Well Commissioner, you picked the right man. Puppet Papademos is in place and as Athens caught fire on Sunday night he rather took my breath away. He said, ‘Violence and destruction have no place in a democratic country.’
What democratic country?
He’s not even a democratically elected prime minister. He’s been appointed by you guys. Greece is not run through democracy now, it is run through a Troika. Three foreign officials that fly into Athens airport and tell the Greeks what they can and cannot do.
The violence and destruction that you saw on Sunday is being caused directly because people are having their democratic rights taken from them – What else can they do?
And I must say, if I was a Greek citizen I would’ve been out there, joining those protests on Sunday. I’d be out there trying to bring down this monstrosity that has been put upon those people.
And in his efforts, in the Puppet’s efforts to get the MPs to vote for the bailout package, he warned them, that if they didn’t do so there would be a dramatic decline in living standards.
Well, has he looked out the front door?
Has he seen the fact that 50 per cent of the young people are unemployed already. Has he seen the fact, that the economy, far from stalling has contracted for five years in a row, and is now accelerating on a downward death spiral – a contraction of 7 per cent per annum.
Greece is being driven into the ground, and I think, frankly, when it comes to chaos, you ain’t seen nothing yet!
These policies are driving Greece towards a revolution. They need to be set free. If they don’t get the Drachma back you will be responsible for something truly, truly horrible.”
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 154 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 226 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 110 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Garcetti builds growing lead as LA picks new mayor
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- 600 police photos of Tucson rampage scene released
- Chinese premier begins 2-day visit to Pakistan
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Republican divisions may hinder party's momentum
- House panel seeks to curb military sexual assaults
- Amid immigration reform, calls to change asylums