Disturbing YouTube Trend: Tweens Post ‘Am I Ugly?’ Videos Looking for Feedback
Just as Glenn Beck interviewed former Victoria’s Secret model Kylie Bisutti on GBTV who stopped posing in lingerie due to her faith and in the hopes that she’d influence young girls by promoting positive body images, a disturbing trend has been growing in popularity on YouTube over the last couple years.
It’s called “Am I ugly?” The Daily Mail reports that girls as young as 11 are posting videos of themselves for the Internet world to provide feedback. As you can imagine, it’s not all positive — or clean:
One video, uploaded by sgal901, sees a pretty young blonde asking whether she is ugly and posing in a selection of photographs.
Her film has been watched an astonishing 3,432,137 times since being uploaded in December 2010.
“A lot of people tell me I’m ugly. I think I’m ugly and fat,” she says to the camera.
Laying herself open to the dark anonymity of the internet, comments are a mixed bag.
Some fall into extremes – either over-the-top compliments, suggesting sex, or reflecting a level of animosity that is stunningly harsh.
“This is such a stupid video……What stupid person would record a video like this one and then upload on YouTube don’t they notice that they are just embarrassing their self by the way you are ugly the only thing I see in this video is ugliness I see no beauty” writes one watcher.
Here’s sgal’s video:
This young lady uploaded a video just a couple days ago because she had noticed several other girls doing the same:
The trend has become so popular, there are even several parody videos. This young woman even asks people to stop making the videos:
Amy Gaff, who writes the San Francisco Chronicals’ The Mommy Files blog, writes that YouTube is the “last place” that these youngsters should be going for affirmation. Gaff laments the website’s lack of oversight on its own policies, noting that those younger than 13 are not allowed to post videos. She writes, “[...] so then why is there a video of an 11-year-old girl asking the world if she’s ugly? Where are this girl’s parents? Something is wrong with this picture.”
It should be noted that females aren’t the only ones uploading these types of videos soliciting feedback. A significant number of boys and men are doing so as well.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 525 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 465 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 453 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 335 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 272 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 147 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Father of man shot in Boston probe shares regrets
- 20 killed in 2 simultaneous car bombs in Niger
- West Bank and romance prominent in 'Omar'
- German opposition party marks bittersweet 150th
- Oil down to near $93 on Chinese recovery concerns
- UK official: Suspects part of previous probes
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recovery
- For Philadelphia bicyclist, a cat is his co-pilot