Mother ‘Angry With Everybody’ After 14-Year-Old Given HPV Vaccine Without Permission
Like many parents, Sighle Kinney expected the nurse at her 14-year-old daughter’s school to take care of her if she scraped her knee, provide her with pain reliever if she had an unbearable headache and let her lie down for a spell if she wasn’t feeling well. What Kinney didn’t expect was to see a rash on her daughter’s arm and find it out that it was a reaction to a vaccine that she hadn’t approved.
The Detroit mother whose daughter attends Marcus Garvey Academy told the local ABC affiliate that she is “angry with everybody” over the fact that her daughter received four vaccinations, one of which was for HPV, without permission.
Here’s how it went down according to WXYZ:
The daughter says she was called out of class by the school nurse back on January 30th and sent to the school’s clinic, which is operated by St. John’s medical.
Sighle was furious. She says she never gave consent for the shots to the school or St. John’s – Sighle says she even signed a document indicating never to administer medical treatment to her daughter.
“I told them – if she falls, give her a Band Aid, or if she has a headache, give her an aspirin – that’s it,” she says”
Watch the local news report:
Shortly after receiving the vaccines, Kinney says her daughter developed a rash on her body. The Detroit Public School System released a statement that said “staff at the clinic must maintain confidentiality with the students” and that Kinney should “take her very serious concerns to St. John’s.” WXYZ reports that St. John’s statement only read they were aware of the situation and would be meeting with the family involved.
Still, Kinney says someone needs to be held responsible. She said, “How are you going to overlook something like this – you injected my child with medicine I never wanted her to have.”
At the same time, a mother from Billings, Montana, is protesting an HPV vaccine clinic that a local health center is trying to set up at a school. The clinic would include vaccinations for both Gardasil, the HPV vaccine, and Menactra, a meningitis vaccine. But it’s the controversial HPV vaccine that Tabatha Pearson is concerned encourages promiscuity and may have negative side effects, the Billings Gazette reports:
My issue is with the drug — period,” said Pearson, who has two children enrolled at the school. “I believe the school and RiverStone Health are encouraging the kids to be sexually active.”
Pearson also contends students and parents have not been adequately informed about the vaccine and its health risks.
She said her 21-year-old daughter, who is now married, received the shot when she was 17 and a student at Skyview High School. Her daughter is now unable to have children, and Pearson blames the Gardasil vaccine.
The clinic is voluntary and would be directed toward 11- and 12-year-olds.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 717 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 338 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 234 Comments
- Report: Obama Administration Apologizes for Another National Security Leak 213 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 196 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor Read More
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 150 Comments
- John Kerry Reportedly Had a Breakfast Meeting With Father of Gaza Flotilla ‘Martyr’ Last Week — and There’s Apparently Picture Evidence 137 Comments
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 166 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- Yahoo Just Bought This Social Networking Site for $1.1B Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- ‘A bushel of Pinocchios for IRS’s Lois Lerner’
- NYPD stop-and-frisk trial ends; race an issue
- Conn. lawmakers to seek hearings on derailment
- Huge tornado hits Oklahoma City suburb, kills 37
- State medical examiner's office: 37 killed in Oklahoma tornado; death toll expected to rise
- Massive tornado roars through Oklahoma City suburb
- Yahoo looks to regain its cool with Tumblr deal
- 2 hospitals treating nearly 60 after Okla. tornado
- Jackson concert director worked without contract