MSNBC Host on Koran Apology: ‘Americans Wouldn’t Go in the Streets & Start Killing People’
The situation wasn’t all rainbows and ponies on Monday’s episode of “Morning Joe.” Host Mika Brzezinski defended Barack Obama’s recent apology over the burning of Korans, while Willie Geist seemed much less inclined to agree that it was necessary. The discussion included former George W. Bush foreign policy adviser Dan Senor, who explained that the burning of the books was not, in fact, an anti-religious act.
“I think what puts some people off is the context in which we’re in a constant stream of apologizing in this administration,” Senor said. “Every other week there’s an apology for something wrong that America does.”
Brzezinski disagreed with this vehemently and claimed that Obama’s “we’re sorry” was more than warranted. She turned to Geist and cited the example of an American flag being burned to compare the incidents and the need for a nation’s leadership to apologize for such an action.
“Let’s say the American flag was inadvertently burned. Would that not require an apology from another leader?,” she asked Geist.
“No, because Americans wouldn’t go in the streets and start killing people,” he answered. “So that’s a different situation.”
Geist then turned to Senor and, in an effort to be fair, asked if the former Bush adviser could sympathize with a war-time president doing whatever was needed — including an apology — to protect U.S. troops.
“If President Obama actually believes that this apology is going to tame down the violence, then of course — it’s worth doing anything,” Senor responded. “That’s not the case here. The president apologizes, his surrogates apologize, the commanding general on the ground apologizes — the violence is still spiraling pretty much out of control…”
Following this, Brzezinski was still undeterred.
“I think [the president] has some leverage to apologize without being criticized,” she continued, citing the fact that Obama has been “pretty tough on foreign policy.”
Watch the Brzezinski versus Geist portion of the debate, below:
The entire discussion can be viewed here:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 839 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 268 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- Report: Obama Administration Apologizes for Another National Security Leak 214 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 162 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 177 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 181 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- Roadside bomb kills 6 policemen in Afghanistan
- Charismatic Las Vegas mob lawyer mayor pens memoir
- Police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- O'Malley using agenda, fundraising to explore 2016
- Arias speaks on own behalf as jury considers death
- Red Wings beat Blackhawks to take 2-1 series lead
- China's Li seeks stronger economic ties with India
- Israel returns fire following shooting from Syria