Another ‘Thrill?’ MSNBC’s Chris Matthews Says Obama ‘Can Cause a Thrill’ in the American People
MSNBC host Chris Matthews created quite a stir back in 2008 when he announced that then-candidate Barack Obama caused a “thrill” to go up his leg. The comment gained a plethora of attention (not to mention giggles from critics), as it showed the level of adoration that media figures, like Matthews, had for the Democratic contender. Now, nearly four years later, it seems the “thrill” is back.
During Tuesday evening’s election coverage, the host offered a rare bit of positive commentary when he said that Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum’s has the ability to operate well without a teleprompter. Despite this compliment, Matthews maintained that Obama does a better job because he has both the head and the heart to make his messaging compelling.
During Tuesday’s election night coverage on MSNBC, Chris Matthews again discussed the thrill-causing tendencies of President Obama. Shortly after Rick Santorum‘s speech, where he pulled a piece of shale out of his pocket, Matthews lauded the Republican hopeful’s ability to go off teleprompter, but thought President Obama still did it better, noting he had both a brain and a heart to charm the American public — and an ability to thrill.
Here’s a portion of the transcript from Matthews’ comments (emphasis added):
“Romney can’t do what that guy just did. And that’s really important. That means on the stump he can’t turn people on. He can’t turn them on after he wins or after he loses. … I think he lacks this guy’s passion, and I think that’s a real loss.
Barack Obama can do both. He has a brain, and he has a heart, and he can cause a thrill in the American people because he has both.
He can have a vision, and he can have a passion to go with that vision. I don’t see it getting together for the Republicans here, and I think it’s a real challenge for them.”
Watch Matthews make his newest “thrill” assessment:
This is at least the second time that the liberal host has spoken about the tingle of excitement that Obama apparently has the power to cause. During a 2008 broadcast, he said, “It’s part of reporting this case, this election, the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama’s speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don’t have that too often.”
Watch Matthews’ original “thrill” comment, below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 330 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 286 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan