Beware: Hackers Pose as Bank Reps and Use Live Chat While Draining Accounts
What’s disturbing about a new hack of banking accounts – mostly those for commercial and business — isn’t its ability to drain the accounts dry, it’s that it uses information you willingly supply as it chats with you, according to Trusteer.
Trusteer, a firm focused on enterprise and consumer desktop security, describes how, in working with a financial institution, it revealed a new type of malware that uses live chat in order to commit the fraud. It’s an act Trusteer calls “speaking with the devil.” Trusteer explains that it uses a malware platform called Shylock that freezes a banking session when the users logs on, alerting them that “security checks” are underway. Here’s what happens next:
The following message is displayed in the victim’s browser:
The system couldn’t identify your PC
You will be contacted by a representative of bank to confirm your personality.
Please pass the process of additional verification otherwise your account will be locked.
Sorry for any inconvenience, we are carrying about security of our clients.
It gets even stranger in the next step when the hacker begins live chatting with the victim, posing as a bank representative, to glean more personal information. Trusteer reports that the fraud could happen simultaneously to the live chat “enticing the victim to sign/verify fraudulent transactions that Shylock is initiating in the background.”
Trusteer calls this “yet another example of the ingenuity of fraudsters” using applications that trusted providers have instituted to help customers.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 423 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 380 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 110 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 210 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 105 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Japan's PM Abe defends policies as markets settle
- Survey: German consumer confidence rises strongly
- Earthquake hits Russia's Far East
- Police: Suicidal jumper's fall kills SKorean girl
- I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river, injuring 3
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak
- Asia stocks extend losses after big sell-off