Market Recap: Lousy Day for Stocks
Markets closed down on Wall Street today:
▼ Dow -0.02 percent
▼ S&P -0.42 percent
▼ Nasdaq -0.43 percent
▼ Oil -1.97 percent
▼ Gold -0.52 percent
On the commodities front:
▼ Oil (NYSE:USO) fell to $106.70 a barrel
(Related: Credit Unions Harbor Big Bank Refugees)
Today’s markets were down because:
1) EU [author’s note: seriously, were you expecting something else?]: At the end of a two-day meeting in Brussels, leaders of 25 of the European Union’s 27 member states signed on to a so-called fiscal compact designed to prevent against future debt crises by forcing countries on the euro to adhere to stricter budget guidelines and keep deficits low.
But Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy quickly cast a pall upon the otherwise happy conclusion to many months of debate about how best to preserve the single-currency union when he announced that Spain would no longer aim to reduce its deficit to 4.4 percent of gross domestic product.
2) Oil: With little major economic news outside of Europe, investors continued to keep a close watch on the global oil market and rising gas prices. Gas prices climbed for the 24th straight day on Friday, hovering around $3.74 a gallon. Until the standoff over Iran’s nuclear program comes to an end, oil prices will likely remain high, well above $100 a barrel, though WTI crude declined some today.
3) Yelp: The big news today was Yelp’s initial public offering, which saw shares spike nearly 64 percent, closing at $24.58 after starting day with an initial pricing of $15 a share. But the business reviews site wasn’t the only company making headlines, as Shutterfly shares surged after the company announced that it would buy Eastman Kodak’s online photo services business for $23.8 million.
[Editor’s note: the above is a cross post that originally appeared on Wall St. Cheat Sheet.]
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 521 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 485 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 466 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 325 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 105 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 123 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- 'Horrified' trucker watches I-5 bridge collapse
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Delta ups the ante in battle for NY travel market
- Man charged with stalking Jennifer Lawrence's kin
- A-Rod sells Miami Beach home for $30M
- Snooki: NJ Gov Christie 'just doesn't like us'