Rush Limbaugh Explains Why He Apologized: ‘In Fighting Them I Became Like Them’
Rush Limbaugh opened his popular radio show on Monday with a lengthy explanation about why he decided to apologize to Sandra Fluke — the law student fighting for religious colleges to cover birth control — whom he called a “prostitute” and a “slut” last week. In short, he said, he had a moment of weakness and stooped to the left’s level.
“In fighting them [liberals] I became like them,” Limbaugh explained. “I do not think she is either of those two words. I did not think last week she was either of those two words.”
“I became like the people we oppose. I ended up descending to their level. It’s important to never be like them,” he added, before reiterating that “the apology was heartfelt, the apology was sincere.”
He then went on to quote a Washington Examiner article explaining how the Democrats “played games” with Fluke’s testimony. For example, Fluke wasn’t supposed to initially testify, but Democrats tried to swap her in at the last minute. When Republican Darrel Issa wouldn’t allow it, they “staged” Flukes testimony in front of a subcommittee.
“Her testimony was not that of an expert,” Limbaugh said, pointing out how it was based on “vague examples based on unnamed friends”
It was a “fast one” and a “trick,” he said. But instead of focusing on that aspect last week, he decided to go after Fluke.
“I acted too much like the leftists who despise me,” he said. “It’s way beneath me. It’s way beneath you.”
“Everyone was being true to their nature, except me.”
Later he tried to squash any theories behind his apology and went on to say the public shouldn’t expect such apologies from the left
Regarding the advertisers who left his show over the remarks, he made it a personal matter with the audience: “It’s a business decision, and it’s theirs alone to make. They’ve decided that they don’t want you anymore or your business.” That was after opening the show by joking that he tried to call himself to cancel his own Two If By Tea advertisements but got a busy signal.
“We’ll replace them,” he said later.
You can watch his opening statements below (check back shortly for more video):
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 496 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 382 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 318 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 180 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 308 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 124 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Boy Scouts vote on policy toward openly gay boys
- Stocks edge lower as investors reassess Fed fears
- Smooth confirmation hearing for Pritzker
- Mary J. Blige faces $3.4M federal tax lien in NJ
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse