Lawsuit Claims Paula Deen Used N-Word, Said She Wanted Black People to ‘Tap Dance Around Like in Shirley Temple Days’
SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Attorneys for Paula Deen said Tuesday that a former worker who claimed she was sexually harassed and subjected to a hostile work environment at a restaurant co-owned by Deen and her brother made false claims after the celebrity chef refused to pay her to keep quiet.
A lawsuit filed Monday by Lisa Jackson “makes false allegations against Paula Deen and they will be proven false in court,” said a statement from the Oliver Maner law firm, representing Deen. The law firm said the suit was filed in a local court after the Southern cooking star refused to pay the woman to “address false claims.”
Attorneys for Jackson, a former general manager at the restaurant, didn’t immediately respond to an email seeking comment.
Jackson said in the lawsuit that her doctor encouraged her to quit her post at Uncle Bubba’s Seafood and Oyster House in Savannah because she suffered from panic attacks and other stress. The restaurant is owned by Deen and her brother Bubba Hiers.
Jackson, who is white, was hired at the restaurant in February 2005 and within months was promoted to general manager.
Jackson said in the lawsuit that Hiers routinely made inappropriate sexual and racial remarks and that she heard both Hiers and Deen use racial slurs. The woman also said in the suit that she saw Hiers violently shake a black employee and that he fostered a workplace environment of intimidation.
Deen’s law firm said they had investigated Jackson’s claims and had unsuccessfully attempted to address them with her.
“She has made baseless, inflammatory allegations, threatening to go to the press and ruin Paula Deen’s reputation and the reputation of her businesses unless we paid her a large sum of money,” the firm’s statement said. “We refused to bow to that kind of pressure and refused to pay money to address false claims.”
Jackson’s lawsuit, filed in Chatham County Superior Court, seeks unspecified damages.
Hiers soon began targeting her with unwanted advances, the suit said, adding that he watched pornography in the small office the two shared. He also distributed pictures of two women having sex at an office meeting and complained about heavier staff members, the complaint said.
She said in the suit that Hiers also required black staff members as his restaurant to use the back entrance and banned them from using a customer restroom that white staffers were allowed to use.
Jackson said she routinely suffered from panic attacks that often began when Hiers came to work each morning. The situation came to a head in August 2010 when Jackson said Hiers grabbed her face during a dinner for vendors at the restaurant and declared “I love you,” then later screamed at her and spit in her face, according to the suit.
Jackson said she left her job days later after her doctor suggested quitting would improve her health.
Gawker also noticed the following excerpt from the complaint – a comment that Deen herself is alleged to have made:
Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n***ers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around. Now, that would be a true Southern wedding wouldn’t it? But we can’t do that because the media would be on me about that.
The wedding being referenced was the wedding of Deen’s brother Bubba.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 586 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 520 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 388 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 317 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 269 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 150 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees horror behind him
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'