McCain Campaign Adviser Bashes Palin and Party While Discussing ‘Game Change’
Protagonist of HBO’s “Game Change,” real-life 2008 McCain Campaign senior strategist Steve Schmidt has found some new friends as a frequent contributor for MSNBC. This may be a good move considering that Republicans, who he once worked for, are likely unimpressed with his comments about the HBO film while appearing on MNBC’s “Morning Joe” Monday. Schmidt has endorsed the film, which is based on the book of the same name that upon its publishing was immediately criticized for inaccuracy and called “a 450-page version of Page Six.”
“It’s a story of when cynicism and idealism collide, when you have to do the things that are necessary to win to try to get in office to do the great things you want to do for the country,” Schmidt said of the movie, in which he is portrayed by Woody Harrelson. “And I think it showed a process of vetting that was debilitated by secrecy, that was compartmentalized, that failed, that led to a result that was reckless for the country. And I think when you look back at that race, you see this person who is just so phenomenally talented at so many levels, an ability to connect. But also someone who had a lot of flaws as someone running to be in the national command authority who clearly wasn’t prepared.”
“Politically, she was a net positive to the campaign,” Schmidt went on to say of Sarah Pailin, who is portrayed in the film by Julianne Moore.
Schmidt said she was a “net negative” because “someone was nominated to the vice presidency who was manifestly unprepared to take the oath of office should it become necessary and as it has become necessary many times in American history.” [Emphasis added]
“The reality is is that both parties have nominated people in the last decade who are not prepared to be anywhere near the Oval Office,” Schmidt said. “John Edwards in the Democratic Party. Sarah Palin in the Republican Party. And we ought to take a pause and understand how that happened, why it happened and hopefully it’ll never happen again in our lifetimes.”
NewsBusters Noel Sheppard is unimpressed with Schmidt:
It appears that for a Republican to be held in high esteem by the liberal media, all he or she need do is run a failed presidential campaign – McCain-Palin suffered the biggest landslide since Michael Dukakis in 1988 – and then backstab the candidates you represented.
This strategy worked nicely for Wallace who in 2010 published the best-selling political thriller ‘Eighteen Acres’ which many believe took additional shots at Palin.
As for Schmidt, he’s now a regular MSNBC contributor.
Unlike crime, it seems failure and backstabbing do pay, and are enviable qualities for Republicans looking to curry favor with America’s media.
Nicolle Wallace was a senior advisor on the McCain campaign who said Sunday that the HBO film was “true enough to make me squirm.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 997 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 432 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 384 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 293 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 152 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 181 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 101 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Fire chief says search almost complete in Oklahoma
- Protesters rally over IRS' tea party scrutiny
- JPMorgan's Dimon survives shareholder referendum
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Microsoft touts Xbox One as all-in-1 entertainment
- Arias asks jury to give her life in prison
- Committee nears final vote on immigration bill
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes