Aerial ‘Shadowhawk’ Police Drones Can Now Deploy Tasers & Tear Gas
“Drones are coming to America to a police department near you.”
That’s the initial assessment of Catherine Crump, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union, who narrates part of a short video clip that explores the Shadowhawk drone and its implications for domestic law enforcement here in the U.S.
The technology is useful, but poses significant privacy risks.”Drones have very powerful cameras attached to them,” Crump says, “they can see a lot more than the naked eye.” In fact, they can even see through walls with FLIR thermal imaging technology.
Crump believes one of the most alarming prospects is that police drones won’t just have cameras on them, but will also be armed with non-lethal weapons. As can be seen in these photos from Vanguard Defense Industries, the Shadowhawk platform is sturdy enough to be fitted with a variety of “less lethal” munitions.
Below is the video with some explanation of the drone’s implications for the U.S. Homeland, courtesy of The Daily:
Randy McDaniel, Chief Deputy of the Montgomery County, Texas Sheriff’s Office, also weighs in on the Shadowhawk drones in the clip. “We were able to purchase a UAV to use here at the Sheriff’s Office,” McDaniel says.
Instead of the ACLU’s sweeping privacy and civil liberties concerns, McDaniel focuses in on the benefits of drones for law enforcement. Shadowhawk drones armed with an array of non-lethal force options–including impact rounds, chemical munition rounds, and tasers– could save lives in McDaniel’s opinion.
Deputy McDaniel points out that these are technologies “law enforcement utilizes day in and day out” already.
“If it is developed to the extent that we are guaranteed the accuracy, it is certainly something that we could look at, if I can give our swat teams a tool to save their lives, that’s what we are going to do,” McDaniel said.
The ACLU’s Crump, on the other hand, believes that an officer on the ground will always have a better sense of the situation, and seems to caution against any police department going beyond surveillance drones to an armed aerial platform.
Here is a longer video clip of the Shadowhawk police drone in action, courtesy of Vanguard Industries:
But while a debate rages over police departments using drones, it should be noted that the private use of drones is on the rise. As The Blaze’s Liz Klimas noted last month, “drones have been used by the media to capture aerial footage of Russian protests and riots in Poland” and a “civilian drone operated in Texas recently spotted a meat packing plant violating laws by dumping animal products into a local stream.”
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 442 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 425 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 422 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 321 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 272 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 176 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 136 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 125 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 243 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- 10 Things to Know for Thursday
- Okla. men get video of deadly tornado overhead
- 3rd grader who loved to sing among tornado victims
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 1 child dead, 1 missing in Minn. park landslide
- House passes GOP bill to speed pipeline approval
- Weiner launches comeback bid to become NYC mayor
- Brutal attack in London blamed on radical Islam