Ben & Jerry’s Re-Names Flavor ‘Apple-y Ever After’ to Advocate for Gay Marriage in England
Ben & Jerry’s is known for its delicious (and offensive) ice cream flavors. But over the years, the company has also distinguished itself for its overt and controversial opinions on social and political issues.
The company’s leaders — Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield have taken stances against military spending and they have defended Occupy Wall Street. These, of course, are only two examples (there was also that embarrassing Jeremy Lin-inspired fortune cookie flavor, which the company inevitably apologized for). Now, Ben & Jerry’s has changed one of its flavors in support of marriage equality.
While the company has supported gay marriage rights here in America in the past, its newest flavor-change and campaign is geared toward helping a same-sex marriage bill pass in England (we recently reported on how the Catholic Church is responding to this proposal). So, to support gay nuptials, Ben & Jerry’s has renamed its Apple Pie flavored ice cream, “Apple-y Ever After.”
A press release published on the company’s UK web site reads, in part:
In 2009 we renamed our legendary flavour Chubby Hubby to ‘Hubby Hubby’ to celebrate gay marriage legalisation in our home state of Vermont, in the US. This March as the UK government debates whether to legalise same sex marriage, we’ve partnered with gay rights organisation, Stonewall, to raise awareness about the importance of marriage equality by renaming our Apple Pie flavour, Apple-y Ever After!
If you think that Civil Partnership is the same as marriage, think again! Show your support and help convince members of parliament that it’s time to say ‘I do’ to same sex marriage!
The same release proclaims that “social justice is at the core of Ben & Jerry’s values. Additionally, there are opportunities on the company’s web site for customers to write to members of parliament to advocate for the passage of the bill. Supporters can also support the proposal by “marrying” someone of the same sex on Facebook through a special app that has been developed.
“Because everyone is equal and deserves to live Apple-y Ever After,” concludes the Ben & Jerry’s statement. While this is a chipper conclusion to say the least, The Telegraph’s Will Heaven finds the press release and partisan flavoring less-than-satisfying. He writes:
Reading that PR announcement made me want to bulk-buy Häagen-Dazs. Why? Not because I’m a crazed homophobe, but because I’m so irritated by my food telling me what I should believe.
This kind of crass marketing technique has “Democrat” written all over it. They’re shamelessly using a delicate social issue to make money. It’s a very American style of Left-wingery – and that’s why I don’t think it will work here.
We can just about stomach Fair Trade chocolate or support – for example – the Body Shop’s excellent campaign against child sex trafficking. But ice cream that says, “buy me, or you’re a bigot”? No thanks.
You can read more about the flavor and make up your own mind here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 511 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 460 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 444 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 323 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 253 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Car bomb kills 12 in southwest Pakistan
- LeBron, Heat dig deep to top Pacers in Game 1
- Bronx 'ghetto' tours stop amid residents' outrage
- For Philadelphia bicyclist, a cat is his co-pilot
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment
- Obama to push for transparency in face of threats
- Youngest Okla. tornado victims remembered by kin
- Between economy and trouble, Obama approval steady