After Investing $400M in Peugeot, GM Might Close Euro Plants
“In the U.S., GM was able, through an extraordinary set of circumstances, to take some drastic action: you closed whole factories, you closed whole historic brands in the United States. Can you take, and will you take, drastic action like that in Europe?” Lashinsky asked.
Ackerson responded [emphasis added]:
Well, just so you understand, prior to their kind of crisis of confidence, if you will, Europeans must, uh, we in America hear about it every day, they must hear about it every morning and every evening of every day.
And is Greece going to go under? Is Italy going to go under? What’s going to happen to the euro? The banks are on stilts…it has echoes of what was going on here 2008 and 2009. Coming out of bankruptcy, [GM] did close a plant. There are only two plants closed in Europe. Fiat closed one and we closed one in Antwerp, Belgium. We laid off about 4,000 people and were were profitable for the first half of 2011 in Europe.
Now we, Ford , Fiat, Pugeot, Renault — they’ve all come out and said, ‘Yeah, we have profitability problems in Europe.’
And you’re right. We had to close 14 plants in the United States when we had our crisis.
We think we’re going to have to adjust our production levels in Europe over the next couple of years in order to get our house in order in Europe.
Watch the interview via CNN Money:
Akerson agreed with Lashinsky that the statement, “‘Adjust production levels’ is often a euphemism for closing plants.”
Akerson said that “we are in discussions with our stakeholders, our employees, our unions–” regarding the time-frame for these shutdowns and agreed that it’s “very difficult to close facilities in Europe compared to the United States.”
“And we are going to abide by our contracts but we have to at least start to get them in place so we hope that in the next two to three months we’ll be able to publicly articulate a plan that will get us back a shot at profitability.”
“And is eliminating a whole brand in Europe, such as Opel, is it an option the way you did in the United States?” Akerson was asked.
“I don’t think so. But you think about the United States, we had eight brands!”
He explained that since it restructured and eliminated some of its “historic brands,” GM has turned Buick into something of a success story. The CEO concluded by promising to do everything to make sure the German automaker Opel remains profitable.
Given the fact that even the CEO admits there are “profitability” concerns in Europe, why did the Detroit automaker, which still owes U.S. taxpayers approximately $25 billion, invest $400 million in France’s fledgling Peugeot?
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 459 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 443 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 323 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 251 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 2 more arrested
- Submerged structure stumps Israeli archaeologists
- Police: Car bomb kills 12 in southwest Pakistan
- Asia stocks slide as China factory output slips
- Survey shows China manufacturing contracting
- Teen birth rates decline in most US states
- Nearly all US states see hefty drop in teen births
- Penguins rout Senators 7-3, take 3-1 series lead