Video Posted by Rep. Peter King Showing ‘Ride-Along’ Sparks U.S. Marshals Probe
Eyebrows have been raised and a U.S. Marshal’s probe launched following the posting of a video on the official website of Rep. Peter King.
The Long Island Republican is chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security and has been a steadfast supporter of increased national security measures to monitor radicalization. The video in question, which has since been removed by Rep. King’s official Youtube account, featured the 67-year-old Congressman participating in a ride-along with the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force during a Monday raid of a high-risk and believed-to-be-armed fugitive in Brooklyn. The raid took place coincidentally just a few blocks away from where Rep. King went to high school, and the video included the logo for the TV show “Manhunters.”
The Wall Street Journal reports that the U.S. Marshals Service is now investigating the raid to see if the video taken with and posted by Rep. King during the arrest violates any federal policy.
The video reveals the fugitive’s face, name and charges, identifies several task force officials during the arrest, features the storming of the fugitive’s walk-up apartment, breaking down of a door in chase of the fugitive, and the fugitive subdued by the task force officials who held the him handcuffed, face-down and pinned to the ground by an officials knee.
At the end of the video the congressman recaps the take down, and the weapon and narcotics found on the fugitive at the time of arrest.
Talking Points Memo reports that after inquiries to Rep. King’s office in regards to the video, which he also tweeted, it was marked “private” and no longer available to the public on YouTube. The video was later removed and replaced by a shorter version, which TPM notes cut almost a minute of footage, including clips of an officer kicking in a door, a joke about how Rep. King “got” a suspect, and an officer describing to the congressman how he kicked someone, perhaps the suspect, off a ladder. That video has also now been removed by the user.
“The policy restrictions which prohibit individuals who are not U.S. Marshals employees or Task Force Officers from filming inside a private residence are intended to be in place during all ride-alongs,” U.S. Marshals spokesman Jeff Carter told TPM in a statement. “We are currently investigating this matter to determine exactly what happened in this instance.”
Rep. King’s spokesman Kevin Fogarty told the Wall Street Journal; “Congressman King was invited by the US Marshals to accompany them in a series of raids and everything was done in compliance with their procedures.”
Before removal, TPM was able to capture the original video:
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 594 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 398 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 333 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire