‘Propoganda?’: Did You Happen to See Barack Obama on ‘American Idol’ Last Night?
A lot has been said about President Obama’s impromptu Al Green song that he belted out for a fundraiser last month. The video went viral, and even the president’s critics recognized the president can sing. And if you were watching “American Idol” on Wednesday, you would have seen it all over again.
That’s because one of the contestants, Elise Testone, chose the Al Green song that Obama resurrected, “Let’s Stay Together.” And during a pre-taped segment, one of the guest mentors, Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas, couldn’t help but note that Obama had belted out the tune. He suggested a sing off, and seconds later, the show was playing Testone and Obama side-by-side. Here’s how it went down:
That raised the eyebrows of some. Noel Sheppard over at Newsbusters didn’t like it:
In an election year?
Now, the reality is this should be wholesome, brainless fun, right?
But for eight years, the media bludgeoned Americans with how awful President George W. Bush was.
This man couldn’t mow the lawn at his ranch in Texas without being criticized for doing so.
Now, you can’t turn on a musical competition – in an election year! – without images of how marvelous the man in the White House is.
Can’t Americans spend a couple of hours watching television with their families without having propaganda about the president jammed down their throats?
It should be noted that Will.i.am is an ardent Obama supporter. In 2008 he starred in several pro-Obama videos featuring artists and celebrities:
And during the 2011 Super Bowl he even brought Obama into his halftime performance.
With all that said, it would make sense that Will.i.am would want to take every opportunity to bolster the president’s image with the “Idol” audience. But it should also be noted that the show is a singing show, and Obama — whether people like it or not — did deliver one of the most popular singing performances of the year. And it was a performance even his critics enjoyed. For example, Glenn Beck has said on radio that it was good — so good, in fact, that Obama should just quit being president and work on his singing career.
What do you think? Did “American Idol” go too far? Is television in general going too far to make Obama look good (consider also that ESPN has featured Obama for its annual segment “Barack-etology” — where Obama makes his NCAA March Madness picks)?
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 463 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 317 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 256 Comments
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 231 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 179 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? 101 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 120 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 104 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 140 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Mortar lands in Congo as UN chief arrives
- Zimbabwe's president signs new constitution
- Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel
- South Sudan warns it may shut down oil flow again
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Czech president settles dispute over gay rights
- Vatican releases 1st report of financial watchdog
- UK eyes giving visas to 600 Afghan interpreters