After Bill Maher debuted a clip last week from Nancy Pelosi’s filmmaker daughter interviewing stereotypical “redneck” Mississippi residents about their political views, Alexandra Pelosi unveiled a new clip during his HBO show Friday night, this time exposing so-called “welfare queens” in New York City.
The latest clip, which Maher predicted was “the thing that will make liberals go insane,” featured Pelosi’s interviews with a series of people outside an inner welfare office, most of them black and unapologetic about taking their government handouts despite being able-bodied and physically able to work.
First, here is the portion that aired last week, featuring white Mississippi residents calling President Barack Obama a Muslim and admitting to not liking him because he’s black:
There was a strong reaction to the clip last week, and Pelosi readily acknowledged that the people shown were stereotypes.
“They’re just snapshots,” she said. “Now, by Monday morning, you’re going to have the left-wing feeding frenzy attacking you for making the Democrats look bad.”
For the latest clip, Pelosi said, “It’s not as if I have to go too far to find the freeloading welfare queens,” noting that the welfare office is across from her home.
She began by interviewing the doorman, who said he sees people every day who “don’t look like they’re handicapped in any way, they just look like they don’t want to work.”
A sample of the responses she got from the welfare recipients:
– “I’m here trying to get some Obama bucks. That’s what I’m doing, trying to get some Obama money.”
– “I want a check.”
– “Tell me why you like Obama.” — “Because he gives me stuff.”
– “Who you going to vote for?” — “Obama.” — “Why?” — “Because he’s black.”
– “When was the last time you actually worked?” — “About half a decade”
– “You’re a perfectly healthy young man, why aren’t you working right now?” — “My background. Once you go to jail it’s hard to get a job.”
– “Why should my tax dollars be going to you?” — “My ancestors came here to help build this place — my ancestors, slaves.”
– “Do you really want to work, or do you just want to get a free check?” — “I just want to get a free check.”
After the clip played, Pelosi noted Maher’s studio audience “didn’t laugh that much” compared to the Mississippi clip, and said some of her colleagues at HBO said of the footage, “You can’t put that on TV.”
“Somehow you were allowed to do that to the toothless rednecks but when it was our neighbors — ” Pelosi said.
Of the doorman, who she said comes from a family of Democrats, Pelosi said, “the entitlement culture’s gotten so big that we’re losing our people.”
But Maher said the points made by some in the video, particularly about slavery or having been to jail, were legitimate, saying there’s a stronger “legacy” compared to the white Mississippians who are merely carrying “a chip.”