Embarrassed Mom Falls Into Lake Michigan While Texting
Teens are often criticized and warned against texting while driving, walking, chewing gum, you name it. A recent story out of Benton Harbor, Mich., though has one mom turning her own embarrassing gaffe into a lesson to warn everyone of distracted texting.
Bonnie Miller was walking on a Lake Michigan pier in St. Joseph with her husband and son on Monday night, according to ABC 57. It only took a three word text and she was in the water. ABC 57 has more:
“I had set an appointment for the wrong time and so I sent about three words,” Miller described. “Next thing you know it was the water.”
Miller explained she didn’t realize how close she was to the edge of the pier, she then stumbled after tripping over something and tumbled over into the water. She and her family estimate she fell at least six-feet into the water.
“Quinn said he just heard me say ‘Oh God’ and then a splash,” she explained. “When you’re down there and the water is very low and all you see is pier.”
Miller was having trouble staying afloat, her husband Greg jumped into action and dove into the water after her.
“It was very chaotic for a bit,” Greg Miller described. “I just went for it and gave her a big push towards the side of the channel there.”
Other bystanders jumped in to help Miller as well.
Watch the report:
Instead of keeping quiet about the incident, even though Miller said she is “really quiet embarrassed,” she wanted to pipe up to first thank those who helped her out of the water and also to offer a word of warning to multi-tasking texters:
“I couldn’t let pride stand in my way of warning other people to not drive and text or walk and text,” Miller explained. “It can be dangerous.”
ABC 57 reports that the local police, coast guard, firefighters and state police were called to the scene. Miller, aside from a little blow to her pride, was not seriously injured.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 482 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 469 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 460 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 355 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball
- ECB official: New bank authority 'indispensable'
- Newly found Pearl S. Buck book is to be published
- AP Interview: Rogge praises wrestling's changes
- Writer Chinua Achebe honored in Nigeria funeral
- Singer Nick Carter to release memoir Sept. 24
- AP Interview: Syria conflict uproots Palestinians
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal