‘Desperate’: Man Saws Off Foot to Avoid Work…And Continue Unemployment Benefits
School children can come up with the most elaborate schemes to get themselves out of class, even psyching themselves up so much that they really do end up being sick. But what of adults simply not wanting to go to work? One Austrian man must have thought being adult required even more drastic measures than faking a stomach ache. So, he cut off his own foot.
This is not a joke. An Austrian man really sawed off his own foot yesterday, according to Reuters, to avoid going back to work when a labor office official was set to check in on his health. Here are some more details:
Hours before an appointment on Monday for the labor office to check on his health, the 56-year-old man held his left leg against an electric saw in his home workshop and severed his foot just above the ankle, Austrian broadcaster ORF reported.
Bleeding profusely, the man from the province of Styria then threw the foot into an oven, hobbled to his garage and called an ambulance. An emergency operation was unable to reattach the foot, ORF said.
According to Metro, the local police chief Franz Fasching said the man was still conscious when help arrived on the scene, although he had lost a lot of blood. Fasching said the foot was too badly burned from being in the oven to be salvageable.
ORF called it a “desperate” act of a man wishing to continue receiving unemployment benefits. The man will not be able to claim disability benefits after this gruesome act, the Minister for Social Affairs Rudolf Hundstorfer said, but should he file for mental disabilities that situation could change.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 492 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 477 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 375 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 315 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 159 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 270 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 118 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 117 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Just a photo of Al Sharpton smiling in an African dashiki
- ‘Big gas savings’: Kmart’s marketing gurus strike again
- Does CNN want to keep Piers Morgan around?
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Oil tracks gains in stocks, erases early losses
- West Bank and romance prominent in 'Omar'
- 87-year-old woman loses to Trump in civil case
- Dissidents find 'Cuba outside Cuba' in Miami
- New Victory Theater offers Bob Marley, Shakespeare
- Q&A: What is known about London attack
- Clashes in Lebanon feed fear of Syria spillover
- Anti-war protester shouts at Obama during speech