CAIR Protests Muslim’s Appointment to Religious Freedom Watchdog: ‘Sock Puppet for Islam Haters’
The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) –the federal watchdog that was created back in 1998 to help the president, Congress and the Department of State better understand religious persecution across the globe — is at the center of debate over a new appointee.
According to Religion News Service, Dr. Zuhdi Jasser, a Muslim who has been appointed to the group, is drawing cries of protest from the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), among others.
On the surface, this may seem counter-intuitive. After all, Jesser does, indeed, embrace Islam and CAIR is an organization that fights for the civil rights of Muslims living here in America.
But here’s the sticking point: Jasser has been a vocal proponent of controversial New York City police surveillance (programs that have, ironically, targeted Muslims). He narrated the film, “The Third Jihad,” which the NYPD came under fire for showing during training sessions. Additionally, he was opposed to the infamous Ground Zero mosque. (He has defended the film in an interview with The Blaze.)
Clearly, his opinions have fallen outside of the Islamic mainstream. As a result, CAIR has been open and honest about its disdain for the appointment.
“It would have been better to appoint someone who has some measure of credibility with Muslim Americans,” CAIR spokesman Ibrahim Hooper said. ”He has long been viewed by American Muslims and the colleagues in the civil liberties community as a mere sock puppet for Islam haters and an enabler of Islamophobia.”
Jasser, who was appointed by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), is a cardiologist who resides in Phoenix, Arizona. He has taken a firm stance against the vocal advocacy arms of the Islamic community in America. The organization he founded, the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, has called most U.S. Muslim groups “malignant” and has accused them of embracing “political Islam.”
Jasser is joined as an appointee to USCIRF by Robert P. George of Princeton University. George was appointed by House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). Currently, three commission spots remain vacant and open.
“These appointments are further evidence that the Republican agenda is not about defending so-called ‘religious liberty,’ but about ensuring that their conservative values continue to have a prominent voice over other points of view,” lamented liberal blog ThinkProgress.
(H/T: Religion News Service)
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 473 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 444 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 374 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 329 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 295 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 182 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 142 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 102 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- House panel moves to curb military sexual assaults
- AP source: Obama on Sunday to visit Oklahoma town devastated by monstrous tornado
- 'Boom Town Baby': African stock markets see gains
- First lady lauds effort to preserve DC slave house
- Attorney: Donald Trump lied on stand
- House takes up GOP bill to speed pipeline approval
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Congo fighting persists as UN chief arrives