Why Is Sen. Chuck Grassley So Upset With the History Channel?
Senator Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) hasn’t been quiet about his disappointment with the “History” channel in recent months, tweeting more than a few times on the matter.
Specifically, the senator seems to be upset that the channel’s programming has gone from “history” to, well, other things.
New York Magazine humorously highlighted Grassley’s criticisms, by date:
January 6, 2012: Grassley’s rage begins, nearly coinciding with the New Year that, according to Mayan prognostication, might be the last. Coincidence?
February 1, 2012: Grassley, unlike much of America, is not charmed by Pawn Stars. “I turn to History channel frequently bc I like history. There is nevr any history unless u r an antique dealer. Change name!”
February 29, 2012: Grassley is disappointed by Ax Men and plaintively wonders about the title yet again. “Just turned to history channel. No history. I used to get history. Why do we h v such a channel when it doesnt do history.”
February 25, 2012. Grassley is disappointed by Mudcats and once again sounds his unbarbaric yawp. “Just love history. So occasionally I turn to history channel. ‘mud cats’ when wi they put history back on the channel.”
March 10, 2012: Grassley is disappointed by Modern Marvels: Muscle Cars. “Just tuned to History channel. Once again no history.”
March 13, 2012: Chuck Grassley admits in a public forum to enjoying a History network reality show. It is American Pickers. The occasion is a momentous one. Is he embracing the channel’s new slogan, “History, made every day”?
March 14, 2012: Reports surface that History has ordered its first scripted series, Vikings. Chuck Grassley does not comment.
9:35 p.m. on March 18, 2012: Chuck Grassley is disappointed, once again. “History. No history. Axe man Timber Nothing historical. Back to FOX. Sigh. Suggest name to change channel name.”
And the senator spoke out a number of times about the channel over the weekend.
He tweeted Saturday, “Watch the nonhistory channel. ‘top gear’ is on. Real educational!!!!!!!” and Sunday ,”Wondering if No History Channel would be [interested] in covering my axe and chain saw work at my farm for Axeman. At least it would b new.”
A quick search of the History channel’s website reveals that, indeed, shows like Swamp People, Ax Men, and Pawn Stars are far more prevalent than documentaries on historical events.
No word yet on how the senator feels about National Geographic.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 467 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 441 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 337 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 326 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 263 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 158 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 202 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 140 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 145 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 100 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Feds open special inspection into NC nuke plant
- IRS official Lerner: 'I did nothing wrong'
- Chinese premier visits Pakistan, praises ties
- Iran expands nuke technology
- Complaint accuses Exxon Mobil of anti-gay bias
- Douglas, Damon dramatize a steamy show-biz affair
- Germans, French eye plan to create jobs for young
- Polish man gets quick face transplant after injury