Joe-ver-the-Top Biden: VP Accuses GOP of Putting Cops and Firefighters in Danger…at Taxpayer-Funded Event
Speaking to a gathering of more than 100 federal, state, and local police officers and firefighters at his Washington residence, Vice President Joe Biden suggested the GOP is more interested in tax cuts for the wealthy than in “policies that would save the lives of police officers and firefighters,” according to Keith Koffler of White House Dossier. And it was all done on your dime.
“You’re stuck in a God-awful mess, and so it doesn’t make sense to us that that would be happening at a time when the need for y’all actually would be increasing,” pool reports record Biden as saying.
Biden sarcastically praised policymakers who choose to vote against funding for local law enforcement during “tight” fiscal times: “At least they’re consistent.”
And this is where he equated opposition to increases in taxes with putting lives in danger:
There’s one thing we know: the more cops on the street, the fewer cops get killed. The more firefighters responding to a fire, the fewer injuries to the firefighters, because you have each other’s backs.
So if you vote for tax increases, you vote to increase the ranks of policemen and firefighters. But it you vote against said increases, you are decreasing their ranks, and therefore making it more likely that one of them will die.
How dare you?
“The first guy who’s going to have a problem is the guy whose $3 million home is on fire and you can’t get a truck out there,” Biden said, warning the “wealthy” that a failure to increase funds would come back to haunt them.
“The first guy that’s going to have a problem is the person who has real assets and finds their house burglarized or robbed, or their Porsche is stolen,” Biden said. “I’m not very subtle; I find it absolutely beyond my understanding.”
And here’s the icing on the cake: “Though Biden’s remarks were partisan and clearly designed to curry political favor with firefighters and police, the gathering was billed as an official event and paid for by taxpayers,” Koffler writes.
But should the Vice President’s comments really shock or surprise anyone given his history?
Whether he’s making patently false historical claims, publicly acknowledging the accomplishments of soft drinks, warning women that they’ll be raped if Congress doesn’t pass certain bills, or lavishing praise on soon-to-fail “green” energy initiatives, it seems the Vice President has made a career out of sputtering headline-grabbing remarks.
This is just par for the course.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 579 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 517 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 493 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 313 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 267 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 149 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US