Report: Russian Spy Anna Chapman Came Close to Ensnaring Obama Cabinet Official
Anna Chapman, one of the Russian spies arrested in 2010, is said to be a minimal national security threat. The New York Times reported that the she traded in “routine political gossip and policy talk,” and passed along her messages over the Internet for the world (and the FBI) to see.
However, new reports suggest she may have been more adept than we gave her credit for. In fact, she even coming close to ensnaring a member of Obama’s cabinet.
Though the potentially susceptible official remains unnamed, the assistant FBI director for counterintelligence Frank Figliuzzi is now saying she was,”close enough [to the administration's inner-circle] to disturb [the FBI].” More specifically, he said, “They were getting close enough to a sitting U.S. cabinet member that we thought we could no longer allow this to continue.”
Chapman was working undercover in Manhattan and DC until her arrest. When she wasn’t playing spy, she was allegedly partying at trendy events and posting pictures of herself on Facebook.
And her career failure hasn’t dishonored her in her home country. She has become something of a celebrity back in Russia, becoming the face of a Moscow bank in October 2010, appearing in Playboy in January 2011, and modeling in Russian Fashion Week just last month.
Though the FBI assures that the situation is completely under control, many are left wondering who the young spy set her sights on, and who nearly fell for it?
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,035 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 310 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 142 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 104 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed