Elderly UK Woman Allegedly Forced to Find New Doctor Because of ‘Carbon Footprint’
83-year old Avril Mulcahy was shocked when she allegedly received a letter from West Road Surgery — where she has been a patient for 30 years– telling her she has 28 days to find a new doctor because of her “carbon footprint” and “green traveling issues,” The Daily Mail reports.
The letter reportedly read:
Our greatest concern is for your health and convenience but also taking into consideration green traveling issues re carbon footprints [sic] and winter weather conditions, we feel it would be advisable for patients to register at clinics nearer to where they live.
We would therefore be very grateful if you could make the necessary arrangements to re-register at another practice.
We have informed Essex Contractor Services and after a period of 28 days you will be removed from our list. Bear this in mind, as you will need to have found a doctor within that time.
We would like to take this opportunity to send you our best wishes for the future.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, Avril Mulcahy lives one mile from her clinic.
The elderly woman says the entire situation has left a “sour taste” in her mouth.
“When I read through the letter, I found it absolutely ridiculous they were saying the reason was to decrease their carbon footprint. I have been a patient at the practice for 30 years now, and there has never been any problem before.”
Mulcahy recently made a complaint about her doctor and suspects that it may have something to do with her abrupt dismissal.
“To be treated like this, just because I live too far away or for what I feel is a reaction to my complaint, is disgraceful. It feels like they are just coming up with an excuse to get rid of me.”
She continued: “If they really cared, they could have found me a new practice instead of just basically saying do it yourself. It is a great worry to me as I am elderly and need to get repeat prescriptions for medication…This is really a stress I could do without.”
The head of risk and customer service for South Essex’s National Health Service (NHS) responded: “We would advise all patients who have concerns about any aspect of local NHS care to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 5879159 for help and advice.”
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 328 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 285 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan