San Fran Mom Tries to Sue McDonald’s Because Happy Meals ‘Exploit’ Kids, Judge Tells her to Take a Hike
A San Francisco mother became so upset with McDonald’s for including toys with its Happy Meals that she brought a class-action lawsuit against the fast food giant.
She “wanted McDonald’s to remove the toys from Happy Meals or offer healthier options for the lunch boxes,” the Daily Mail reports. “The lawsuit did not seek damages.”
That case got tossed out yesterday.
Judge Richard Kramer on Wednesday dismissed the lawsuit against McDonald’s over the restaurant chain’s marketing of its signature Happy Meals, according to Reuters.
“Plaintiff Monet Parham, a mother of two, was represented by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a nutrition advocacy group,” the report adds. Parham, along with the CSPI, argued that the use of toys in Happy Meals preys on children’s vulnerabilities and encourages them to eat unhealthy food.
“What kids see as a fun toy, I now realize is a sophisticated, hi-tech marketing scheme that’s designed to put McDonald’s between me and my daughters,” Parham argued, according to the Daily Mail.
“For the sake of other parents and their children, I want McDonald’s to stop interfering with my family.”
Monet Parham (Photo Source: Daily Mail)
Let’s see if we got this: if we could only get McDonald’s to stop putting toys in Happy Meals, then kids won’t want French fries or ice cream?
Hopefully, that last sentence was as absurd to read as it was to write. And I’m not alone in this opinion; the judge obviously agrees with me.
In fact, “the judge dismissed the lawsuit without giving the plaintiff the opportunity to file an amended lawsuit,” The Consumerist reports.
As expected, the CSPI is displeased with the court’s decision.
“In time, the practice of using toys to market junk food will seem as inappropriate and anachronistic as lead paint, child labor and asbestos,” CSPI executive director Michael Jacobson said in a statement.
McDonald’s pushed back against the lawsuit by gently reminding Parham that she has the last say in what her family eats — not her children or McDonald’s.
“We are proud of our Happy Meals and will vigorously defend our brand, our reputation and our food,” a McDonald’s rep said in a statement.
Since the judge’s dismissal, CSPI has vowed to fight on:
McDonald’s must stop exploiting children at some point. Using toys, of all things, to lure young children to fast-food meals is not responsible corporate behavior. It’s a predatory practice that undermines parents, causes rifts in families, and harms kids’ health…
Resolving this question will not hinge on whether the plaintiff in this lawsuit suffered a monetary loss in this case, though we maintain she did. We’re studying the judge’s decision and will discuss with the plaintiff whether to appeal. We will continue to urge all branches of government, including the courts, to stand up for parents and protect children from unscrupulous marketing techniques.
(H/T: The Consumerist)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 492 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 476 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 466 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 374 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 307 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 147 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 252 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 111 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 111 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Just a photo of Al Sharpton smiling in an African dashiki
- ‘Big gas savings’: Kmart’s marketing gurus strike again
- Does CNN want to keep Piers Morgan around?
- Permit requirements shut down another kid’s lemonade stand — but it’s not what you think
- Video: Introducing ‘ConservoTax,’ the first tax software made for Republicans
- Obama defends drone strikes but says no cure-all
- Sweden's riots raise questions about inequality
- Military calls UK attack victim a model soldier
- Wyden: FracFocus 'constructive' tool on drilling
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Obama: Policy in leaks investigations under review
- Israel to discuss military draft reform proposal
- NASA head views progress on asteroid lasso mission