Update: Mass. 4th Graders Will Be Allowed to Sing ‘God Bless the USA’ During Assembly
Fourth graders at a Massachusetts elementary school will be allowed to sing “God Bless the USA” during an assembly after administrators had planned to remove the word “God” from the song.
As The Blaze previously reported, Stall Brook Elementary pulled the song from the program after parents reacted with outrage when students were taught to sing “We love the USA” instead of “God bless the USA” during the chorus of the Lee Greenwood song.
Bellingham Public Schools Superintendent Edward Fleury said in a statement Thursday “God Bless the USA” will be included in the assembly’s song line-up and that students will be allowed to sing or not sing the words.
“No other words will be substituted,” Fleury said.
He admitted that “[p]olitical correctness is certainly a consideration in the public sector” but said the district “believe[s] the use of the word God is acceptable in patriotic songs.”
“The district has no intent to censor any patriotic songs,” Fleury said. “We are certainly sorry if this approach was perhaps considered as disrespectful. That was never the intent.”
Greenwood had told Fox News he objected to the school changing his lyrics, saying “the most important word in the whole piece of music is the word God.”
Watch an original news report on the controversy below:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 509 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 460 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 443 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 323 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 253 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Car bomb kills 12 in southwest Pakistan
- LeBron, Heat dig deep to top Pacers in Game 1
- Bronx 'ghetto' tours stop amid residents' outrage
- For Philadelphia bicyclist, a cat is his co-pilot
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment
- Obama to push for transparency in face of threats
- Youngest Okla. tornado victims remembered by kin
- Between economy and trouble, Obama approval steady