Yikes: Bomb Squad Called in After British Child Finds Hand Grenade During Easter Egg Hunt
One little boy found more than he bargained for during an Easter egg hunt in England when he came upon not a colorful egg, but an old hand grenade.
It happened Saturday in a field near the town of Holford, Somerset, NewsCore reported.
“We were beginning to count up the eggs at the end of the hunt and I saw a boy of three standing on an object,” father Stuart Moffatt, attending the hunt with his children, told the Daily Mail.
“It was brown and about four inches high. It looked like an Easter egg, but it was a hand grenade,” he said. “I was shocked. The boy who was standing on it thought it was a rock.”
The Mail has more:
[P]olice officers put a 100-metre cordon in place and alerted members of the Army’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team, who rushed straight to the scene.
Avon and Somerset Police later confirmed the grenade had been destroyed.
A spokesman for the force said: ‘The Explosives Ordnance Disposal (EOD) attended the scene and destroyed the object in a controlled explosion.
‘The cordon has been lifted and the local community are thanked for their patience while this incident was dealt with.’
Lorry driver Paul Gibbard, 40, from nearby Stogursey, who was also on the Easter Egg hunt with daughters Ruby, three, and Jade, two, said: ‘It was a bit of a shock.’
‘Apparently there used to be an American Army base in Holford during the Second World War. I think it has to be something to do with that.’
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,030 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 461 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 433 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 248 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 129 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 222 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Straily, Cespedes push A's past Rangers 1-0
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- Apple case seen as possible spur to tax action
- Bernanke testimony to be studied for policy clues
- North Korean leader sends 'special envoy' to China
- State media shows NKorea has new military chief