‘Racially Motivated’: Black Attackers Allegedly Yell ‘Trayvon’ Before Beating White Man
Gainesville, Florida, police are investigating what they believe may have been a “racially motivated” attack early Tuesday morning stemming from the nationally covered Trayvon Martin case involving the tragic death of an unarmed 17-year-old.
According to local news affiliates, a 27-year-old Gainesville man was walking home from the bars early Tuesday morning when he said he was jumped by five to eight men who yelled “Trayvon” before the attack. The call before the attack appears to be in reference to the Sandford case that has rocked national headlines, and led to broader societal discussions on crime and race. News4Jax reports:
Gainesville investigators told The Gainesville Sun that they believe Tuesday morning’s attack stemmed from the Martin case.
“We do believe that the crime was racially motivated,” Gainesville Police Department spokeswoman Cpl. Angelina Valuri said.
Valuri said the victim was white and the attackers were black.
Police said the victim had been drinking, so the only description he had of the attackers or their vehicle was that is was a mid-size vehicle. But Valuri did say that the victim’s injuries were consistent with being jumped by a group.
The victim told police that he was beaten for five minutes. He had injuries to his left eye, abrasions to his palms and a cut on his right knee cap. Valuri said he would likely have permanent damage to the left side of his face. He was taken to Shands Gainesville for treatment.
The Gainesville Sun reports that the attack occurred at about 2:45a.m. The victim told police that the group of men got out of a car and told him he was walking too slowly, before yelling ‘Trayvon” and attacking.
The Sandford case has attracted national outcry for the case involved the shooting death of an unarmed black teen walking back from a 7-11 with Skittles and an ice tea. The teen’s shooter, a half-white, half-Hispanic man, has not yet been arrested and seeking possibly defense under Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law.
In addition to the Gainesville attack Tuesday, the Sandford case has led to several instances of what some have called “race-bating,” threats of violence, and racially-charged rhetoric by media commentators, groups or individuals in the name of Trayvon Martin.
Members of the New Black Panthers party have emerged and called for vigilante justice and preparation for a “race war”in the name of Martin, despite the wishes of the boy’s father. At the other side of the spectrum, the National Socialist Movement (NSM); a neo-nazi group, has reportedly brought armed patrols to Sandford to protect the locals, specifically whites who they claim are “concerned for their safety.”
Florida State Attorney Angela Corey announced Monday that there will be no grand jury in the investigation of the Martin shooting.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 524 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 487 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 466 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 325 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 115 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 124 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- 'Horrified' trucker watches I-5 bridge collapse
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Delta ups the ante in battle for NY travel market
- Man charged with stalking Jennifer Lawrence's kin
- A-Rod sells Miami Beach home for $30M
- Snooki: NJ Gov Christie 'just doesn't like us'