‘Holy Heist’: Man Arrested After Breaking Into CA Church & Allegedly Trying to Steal Two Bibles on Easter Sunday
Churches are known for handing out Bibles and willingly spreading the gospel. On Easter Sunday, though, rather than asking for copies of the book, a man allegedly broke into St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Vallejo, California, and attempted to steal two copies of the Bible following church service. One local news reporter dubbed the incident a “holy heist.”
Kenneth Rhodes, 58, attended morning service. While at least one parishioner claims he was acting a bit strange, he attended the breakfast and service without incident. But it was later that bizarre behavior reportedly turned to damage and theft.
After church, Rhodes allegedly “tore through” the downstairs doors of the church. Rather than stealing computers, technology — even money — he purportedly took two Bibles from the sanctuary. Police, who were called due to reports of the break-in, apparently caught him as he was walking out of the building.
In an e-mail to The Blaze, Pastor Barbara Foltin of St. Paul’s, who claims that the church regularly hands out Bibles and that leaders would have willingly given the man the books had he asked, confirmed the incident:
A sister congregation, who shares our space, had just finished their worship and locked the doors. A few of them and their pastor were in the parking lot when the man broke the locked doors open. They were concerned that he was going to hurt himself or someone else and continue breaking things. They called the police. The man had gone to our sanctuary, but no further damage was done. He did have 2 bibles in his hands, which were left at the church.
Media accounts corroborate the incident as well.
“Yeah well, I was very surprised,” explained the church’s financial officer Donald Johnson. “I was also surprised because the man who broke into the church attended our Easter morning breakfast. He was acting a little strangely when he was at church.”
Damage to the church’s side door as a result of the incident will likely cost a few hundred dollars.
Below, watch a KMAX-TV report about the alleged crime:
(H/T: CBS Sacramento)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 487 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 473 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 463 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 363 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 329 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control Read More
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 118 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer 102 Comments
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 120 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Bill O’Reilly counts calories, orders salad at fried-food restaurant
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- Karl Rove advises GOP not to threaten impeachment
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- US new home sales up 2.3 percent in April
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View
- IMF head Lagarde in court in fraud probe
- Appellate court: Berlusconi ran illegal scheme
- Markets roiled by Nikkei's 7.3 percent slide
- Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball