Six-Year-Old Pulled Through Wood Chipper in Gruesome Accident
A six-year-old boy who wanted to help his father clear timber ended up losing his life due to his altruistic urge, in one of the more gruesome recent tragedies. Jeffrey Bourgeoiff, who was helping his father throw branches into a wood chipper, decided to throw a few branches in himself while his father’s back was turned. The result was that tiny Jeffrey was sucked into the wood chipper.
New York’s local CBS affiliate has the rest:
The father had his back turned, and when the boy tried to assist his father by putting a branch into the chipper, he was sucked into the machine, Vance said.
The boy was pronounced dead at the scene.
Vance said the accident was so horrific that grief counselors were called to the scene to help first responders and the boy’s family.
Reportedly, Jeffrey’s two older siblings were also helping, raising the question of how Jeffrey managed to evade notice long enough for this truly terrifying accident to happen. There is video of the first responders on scene, and even the policeman taking the report looks rattled:
The Associated Press has also reported on the story, noting that Jeffrey Bourgeoiff was a first-grader at Salem Elementary School, where he was honored in the school newsletter with a “Caught Being Good” award in December.
Jeffrey and his family also enjoyed running in road races. In the Salem Kids 1 Mile Race in April 2011, he finished 45th with a time of 12:32, according to thelastmileracing.com.
The town’s fire chief, Eugene Maiorano, was the first emergency responder to the accident.
“We’re getting counseling for the family,” Maiorano told WTNH-TV. “The family lives right across the street from me so I was the first on the scene. Saw that we had basically kept everybody away.”
Salem First Selectman Kevin Lynden called Tuesday “a very, very sad day for our Salem residents. This was a Salem family, very good family in town, a well-known family. Our hearts and prayers go out to them.”
The interim superintendent of Salem schools, Kaye Griffin, said a school would open during vacation week to provide counseling to students accompanied by parents. She said the school system is also developing plans to offer counseling for students and staff members when classes resume next week.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 991 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 431 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 382 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 292 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 139 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 178 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot
- Deal on bin Laden evidence made in WikiLeaks case
- Los Angeles picking mayor after low-drama campaign
- ESPN cutting workforce, 'smartly managing costs'
- Lawyer: No background check done on Jackson doctor
- Rapper Chief Keef arrested at hotel near Atlanta
- Ex-Ford execs charged in Argentine torture cases