New Black Panther Party Chief of Staff Apologizes for ‘Honkeys,’ ‘Crackers’ & ‘Dead or Alive’ Comments
Generally speaking, when protesting racism, it’s a bad idea to say things that are aggressively racist. This inescapable rule of irony has caught up to Michelle Williams, Chief of Staff for the New Black Panther Party, who made the mistake of using some very colorful language in an interview about the Trayvon Martin case.
“Let me tell you, the things that’s about to happen, to these honkeys, these crackers, these pigs, these pink people, these —- people. It has been long overdue,” Williams said in an interview. “My prize right now this evening … is gonna be the bounty, the arrest, dead or alive, for George Zimmerman. You feel me?”
She added later: “It’s in me to fight. It’s in me to raise up soldiers. It’s in me that every time my feet touch the ground the state of Florida- these crackers- they scared.”
The Blaze’s original story on Williams’s comments have garnered over 1,000 comments. You can listen to the shocking audio here.
Now, apparently aware that her words pose the danger of discrediting her supposedly anti-racist convictions, Williams has apologized for the words, claiming they were said out of excessive emotions, not out of genuine racist convictions. WTSP Tampa has the full story:
As a community activist and chief of staff for the New Black Panther Party, Michelle is used to addressing many issues. But when it comes to her passion in the Trayvon Martin case, she get especially upset and tearful.
Through tears, she said, “If my words, my words that I had to say out of anger will make the American people address this issue, let it be my time, Melanie. Let it be my time to address this issue with America, that we say enough is enough. We can’t have any more killings.”[...]
She spoke openly, “My words were out of anger. I did not incite, I did not promote, nor did I encourage anyone to go and pick up a gun.”
Some, no doubt, will see Williams as a well-intentioned, but less than perfectly careful spokesperson for an essentially good cause. Others will point to the problematic racial track record of the New Black Panthers as evidence that Williams’ apology is akin to a six-year-old apologizing for theft after being caught with one fist buried in the cookie jar.
And what of Williams’ allegation that she “did not incite, did not promote, nor…encourage anyone to go and pick up a gun?” Certainly her controversial quote doesn’t mention a gun specifically, but many would suggest that putting out a bounty on Zimmerman “dead or alive” does nothing to discourage violence against him – in fact, it arguably implicitly sanctions it.
Is this an apology or an attempt to cover her tracks? Weigh in below.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 562 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 487 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 342 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 245 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 239 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday
- Actress Bynes accused of bong toss out NYC window
- Bayern faces Dortmund in Champions League final
- Calif. plastic ocean debris bill dies in committee
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations