‘Real News from The Blaze’: Don’t Laugh at N. Korea, We’ve Got Our Own Failed Tech Projects
North Korea’s attempts to bolster their war chest have both irritated and amused the western world. The far-eastern nation’s slow march to nuclear power suffered a humiliating setback Thursday, as an Unha 3 rocket intended to be launched into space lasted only “about a minute” before falling to pieces. While the mainstream media is busy stoking the schadenfreude over North Korea’s failure, Real News opened Friday taking a look at our fair share of recently failed technology projects in the U.S., including the bailout-bolstered GM experiment with the Chevy Volt .
This week General Motors announced that it is in the process of developing another new hybrid car. The announcement comes following an explosion that injured 5 workers at the Alternative Energy Center in Warren, Michigan, where GM develops batteries for vehicles like the Chevy Volt.
While GM recorded record profits of 7.6 billion dollars last year, its profits have dropped three consecutive quarters (Q2, Q3, and Q4 of 2011) and its market share is at a 90 year low. With the government still in control of Treasury-indebted GM, why would they be doubling down on the technology that has actually lost money for the company?
Real News panelist Andrew Wilkow is especially unimpressed by GM’s profits when they are still in debt to the Treasury Department under the auspices of the Troubled Asset Relief Program, which has recently enacted pay freezes for several GM executives including its CEO Dan Akerson.
Considering the up-and-down success of GM since the bailout, Buck Sexton suggested that if he were in control of the Romney campaign, he may make the case that Obama has engaged in a shoddy restructuring that is not working as well as it should.
“There are cracks in this short term success story” added Matt McCall.
Listen to the “Real News” panel discuss the up-and-downs of TARP-financed GM:
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 395 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 332 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 286 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93