‘Anti-Mormon’ Pastor Defends Romney Endorsement: Obama ‘Opposes Biblical Principles’
Back in October, you may remember Pastor Robert Jeffress’ controversial statements about Republican president candidate Mitt Romney. The faith leader was introducing Texas Gov. Rick Perry at the Voter Values Summit in Washington, D.C., when he said that Mormonism is a “cult” and that it “is not Christianity.” Now, just months later, Jeffress has endorsed Romney, causing some to further criticize the evangelical preacher.
On Sunday, he appeared on “FOX & Friends” to discuss his take on Romney, Obama and Mormonism. Hosts Clayton Morris and Dave Briggs didn’t waste any time launching into what critics have said about Jeffrees, while asking the pastor how he rectifies his past opposition to Romney with his current support.
“I haven’t changed my tune. In fact, I never said Christians should not vote for Mitt Romney,” Jeffrees said when asked why his opinions have evolved. “When I talked about his theology I was answering a question about theology. And I still maintain there are vast differences between Mormons and Christians but we do share many of the same values — like the sanctity of life and religious freedom.”
Jeffrees maintains that there has been “no inconsistency” and that he has said that he would vote for Romney over Obama for some time now. Some of his past comments do seem to corroborate this claim.
During the interview, the pastor did dodge a question about whether he thinks Romney is a Christian. Instead of directly answering the inquiry, Jeffrees cited polls that purportedly show that most Christians see differences between their beliefs and those of individuals who describe themselves as Mormons.
“There’s every reason to support Mitt Romney in this election,” he continued, going on to claim that President Barack Obama “opposes Biblical principles.”
Watch the interview, below:
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 424 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 386 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 115 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Czech police say US suspect in 4 murders arrested
- Ugandan president removes army chief amid dispute
- German business confidence unexpectedly rebounds
- Glitzy amfAR raises $25 million, goes to space
- Foreign preacher takes rare turn on Vietnam stage
- Obama's drone speech welcomed in Pakistan, Yemen
- 5.7-magnitude quake widely felt across N. Calif.
- JC Chandor gains a Cannes hit with 'All Is Lost'